Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Wheels and Old Covers  (Read 3471 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Old Wheels and Old Covers
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
So I found these red wheels on Ebay, and won them about a week ago.  No bids except mine.  They have steel hubs 'almost' identical the the one Weber used on the old kettles.  They are near perfect except some very light surface scuffs on one wheel.  The tread on both are like new.   I figured they might look good on the red 26...they are 7" wheels...not 8".  They didn't seem to affect the angle the kettle sits at luckily.   A while back I also won a new (old) Weber cover for a 26...so Big Red is getting some new shoes and a new sweater!  I also got a new old cover for a 22 from a trade with Stu.  Here are some before pics, then after.  I'd like to know your opinions if I should keep the original wheels on, or the red ones.  Also, which hub cap looks better, the black plastic push tab, or the older style steel one.  See both pics.
I want to add that it really bothered me to take these NOS covers out of their packaging, but I had to see what they looked like.  They are already folded up nicely and back in the packages!  :)

Now here is another new cover I acquired in a trade with Stu.  This is my wife's cover...she loves this pattern.  This here is covering up the lime 22.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Old Wheels and Old Covers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »
Those wheels pop! Nice scores.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
First...love the red 26.  I always like to keep things as original as possible so heres one vote for the old wheels.   I will say the red ones do add some flare though.  Also, one vote for the old style steel hub caps. Great pics. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:35:25 PM by G »

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
I'm with G regarding keeping things original but that is just a personal preference without regard to appearance in my case. As far as appearance, I think the red look better. I know, doesn't make sense..... I would keep it original but I like the way the red looks better. What can I say. In either case I like the look of the metal hubcaps better.

Thanks for the pics. I have not had the opportunity to see some of those vintage covers yet.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
Those wheels pop! Nice scores.

Thanks Weber MD...I love that avatar you have!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
I like the metal caps too...gives it more a vintage look, away from the "newer" style black plastic ones.  I'm gonna hang onto the original wheels of course.  I may switch them back at some point.  Im torn though,  I too like the original look, but the red wheels just add something the original ones dont

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
My vote is for the red wheels... they make a pretty awesome grill pop even more! And the plaid cover over the yellow grill would be pretty cool as well...
Uncommon sense seeker

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
Red silver caps, I might have to steal your idea for my red 26.....really really nice.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
I like the metal caps too...gives it more a vintage look, away from the "newer" style black plastic ones.  I'm gonna hang onto the original wheels of course.  I may switch them back at some point.  Im torn though,  I too like the original look, but the red wheels just add something the original ones dont

You know me, I like the red wheels way better and would never even consider putting those boring black ones back on. I don't like the black caps though. They clash with the red and don't look vintage to me. I think either white or chrome is the way to go. I like dirty angles too, but that's just me. :-[

I really like the scotch cover. Is that an original 26'r size? I need to up my game after seeing yours. ;)

By the way, that needs an O'neal badly!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:25:58 PM by Duke »

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
The red wheels look killer. Didn't expect the Sexy plaid up skirt photo bit it's a bonus.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
The red wheels look killer. Didn't expect the Sexy plaid up skirt photo bit it's a bonus.

:) :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »

You know me, I like the red wheels way better and would never even consider putting those boring black ones back on. I don't like the black caps though. They clash with the red and don't look vintage to me. I think either white or chrome is the way to go. I like dirty angles too, but that's just me. :-[

I really like the scotch cover. Is that an original 26'r size? I need to up my game after seeing yours. ;)

By the way, that needs an O'neal badly!

Yeah Shaun....this cover is an original one specifically for the 26.  The original handle on it is actually in really good shape.  Just needs a little stain on it.  Thanks for reminding me!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:01:13 PM by Jeff »

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
It looks great. I like the red wheels with the black caps.

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
Nice work Jeff.....I'm all for the red wheels with steel caps.....looks Frikin sweet!!!!!
The covers are killer too.......thanks for the pics

Brent
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:11:49 PM by Big B »
Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
My thoughts on several items:

No dirty angles!  Boooooooo to dirty angles!

Original wheels, with metal caps.  When possible, go original.

Also, i want those red wheels for a project I have!  Do you have the old auction address so i can see how they were listed?  Is the hub bore corect for an original axel?  They really are cool.....just not original for this one.

I love both covers, especially the plaid.  FWIW, i would use them, not leave them in the package.  Or at least try to reproduce them and use them.