Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Country ribs on the weber  (Read 3359 times)

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
Country ribs on the weber
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

Alton Browns poultry rub

I only used 2 applewood chunks this time

New toy. Just came in today :)

3 hours cook time. Grill stayed a nice constant 290. I pulled the ribs at 180 and let them rest while I grilled the zucchini

Good smoke ring and great flavor. To say I am really digging the Weber is an understatement. If I could only win the lotto do I could stay home and cook all day.
The Weber is making it really hard to screw up dinner

Plastic has no soul

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
Very nice! Is that tomatoes and Gorgonzola cheese? Looks like an amazing dinner, well done!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Country ribs on the weber
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
Nice work on the ribs. Country ribs (actually a cut up butt from what I understand) are a different thing and can be difficult to get right. I'm more confident of my ability to deliver consistent results with a whole butt.
kettles, smokers...

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Country ribs on the weber
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
Very nice! Is that tomatoes and Gorgonzola cheese? Looks like an amazing dinner, well done!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."

This thread and your post bring back an awful memory...

We live in a small town and there is a lady here who has had a tough turn of events in her life and she runs a pie shop / soup and sandwich counter to make ends meet. Everybody in town patronizes her establishment more for her than for the food although her stuff is good.

She heard about my success at cooking ribs and so she asked me if I would come and cook ribs and chicken and she was going to have a big special dinner night. I said sure, so she advertises far and wide to RSVP for the BBQ rib and chicken dinner. The tables sold out and everyone is looking forward to it. I was planning on going out first thing in the morning and buying fresh full slabs of spare ribs, and wouldn't you know about 11 pm the night before she shows up at my door with a huge ice chest full of bargain sale COUNTRY RIBS!!! I had always avoided country ribs because if I'm gonna cook shoulder meat it's gonna be pulled pork, not passed off as ribs, so I had no experience with them. It was a one shot deal and I failed. Customers were loudly complaining and I felt like a sacrificial goat. You know, most people would reasonably expect to find a bone or two in their plate after paying good money for a rib meal. That they didn't find. I felt like I got thrown under the bus but guess who took it in the shorts?

Looks good. Glad to see somebody can make country ribs look appetizing. :))

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:24 AM »
Fresh tomatoes and Feta cheese. Just a touch of salt and black pepper and a dab of zesty Italian dressing. Harvest time is my favorite time of the year.

If I do them again I will cook them to 190-200 instead of pulling at 180. These were not bad, but I think they might be a little more tender if I get the temp up some more.

Plastic has no soul

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
If I do them again I will cook them to 190-200 instead of pulling at 180. These were not bad, but I think they might be a little more tender if I get the temp up some more.
Proceed cautiously lest they dry out.
kettles, smokers...

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »
Proceed cautiously lest they dry out.

I am open to suggestions. Lower temp? These were not tough, but I guess I am comparing them to those cooked in a slow cooker.

Plastic has no soul

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

I go longer & lower & pan 2/3's of the way, with sauce & juice to braize for a time......

Too hot & fast with a small piece of pork butt (that's really about what these are) will get them dry & chewy...........you're welcome to ask how I know this........... :-[ :-[ :-[
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
I am open to suggestions. Lower temp? These were not tough, but I guess I am comparing them to those cooked in a slow cooker.
I'm no expert on country ribs. They are cut from a butt and that's what I prefer to smoke. Less surface area to lose moisture.

I'm not normally a fan of wrapping smoked meats but perhaps it would provide an advantage for country ribs. Take them to where you did this time and then wrap and put back on the grill (or in the oven) for another hour?
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »

got all tangled up in question marks for a minute there.........

......the WHOLE meal looks tremendous......fresh tomato, nothing like it & other great sides !!!!!

The ribs look real good, just careful not to dry out & yer over the top !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »
They were not dry and not really tough. I guess I am just after perfection. I will now have to try both methods. Hotter and cooler. Man this learning curve is going to make me fat

Plastic has no soul