Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Style Ash Sweeper Assy Question  (Read 5231 times)

cubalz

• Smokey Joe
Old Style Ash Sweeper Assy Question
« on: May 28, 2024, 03:27:02 AM »
I picked up a sweet "vintage" replacement bowl for my Gen 1 Performer project and it is in great condition except for the ash sweeper assembly. It was rusted solid, and I had to cut it apart to remove it. I have had well over 25 various kettles and Performers over the decades, and I have never seen anything like this. It certainly is not made any more but I was wondering if I could retrofit the new style to the bowl? The big question is if the cross-bar method to retain the ring in place can be used with the "new style" of ash sweeper.

Any help or guidance anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
John
1998 Red Gen 1 SS Performer, 2015 22.5" One Touch, 2011 22.5" Original, 2022 Smoke Fire EX6 Pellet, 2018 Red Limited Edition 22.5", Stumps Gravity Feed Charcoal Smoker, Backwoods G2 Party Vertical Smoker

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Old Style Ash Sweeper Assy Question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 03:56:36 AM »
there are several write up here for using the new style sweeps on this version, none of which I care much for LOL. If your cross brace is still in good shape I have some of the old style sweep kits. send me a message if interested in a set.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cubalz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 04:33:53 AM »
JEBIV, That is a gracious offer. I am interested, I just PM'd you!
1998 Red Gen 1 SS Performer, 2015 22.5" One Touch, 2011 22.5" Original, 2022 Smoke Fire EX6 Pellet, 2018 Red Limited Edition 22.5", Stumps Gravity Feed Charcoal Smoker, Backwoods G2 Party Vertical Smoker

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Old Style Ash Sweeper Assy Question
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 02:26:03 PM »
I like the old style Master Touch ash can assemblies that were held on by that bridge above the sweep handle.
So what I do is cut thin strips of metal and pop rivet them to the ring and bend the tabs into the leg sockets. It’s clean, allows you to R&R the new ash sweeps.

Here are a couple other options:
First pic is an 18” OTG ash pan retrofit, note that pre 2000 Kettles had an offset leg socket(s) that aren’t compatible with new ash assemblies

Second pic is a Performer (pre 2000) with the Original ash assembly with metal strips riveted to the ring and secured to the leg sockets wit sheet metal screws

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 02:34:12 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 04:27:04 PM »
I like the old style Master Touch ash can assemblies that were held on by that bridge above the sweep handle.
So what I do is cut thin strips of metal and pop rivet them to the ring and bend the tabs into the leg sockets. It’s clean, allows you to R&R the new ash sweeps.

Here are a couple other options:
First pic is an 18” OTG ash pan retrofit, note that pre 2000 Kettles had an offset leg socket(s) that aren’t compatible with new ash assemblies

Second pic is a Performer (pre 2000) with the Original ash assembly with metal strips riveted to the ring and secured to the leg sockets wit sheet metal screws

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Love the ingenuity

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 07:05:11 PM »
 Very clever!   

I have a 97 SSP performer with old style bucket with a new sweep.   I sanded the support bar down and omitted the washer supplied  by Weber with the new sweeps.  The bar gives enough pressure to hold the sweep in place.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk