Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It’s ON: the rotisserie pork shoulder charcoal endurance test is in progress  (Read 8315 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
One of the main uses of the Weber charcoal briquettes I’ve had since they became available has been for low-ish/slow-ish cooks.  Not necessarily long WSM cooks but for slow roasting things like these boneless pork shoulders since they have a long running time.

Apparently the new Weber briquettes are a rebadge/relabel of an existing Royal Oak professional briquette that I’ve never seen locally and haven’t had a chance to try out yet until I got a bag of new Weber charcoal.  Does anyone remember the thread I made a few years ago about the original Weber charcoal wondering if it was OEM by Royal Oak after finding a few Royal Oak ridge briquettes mixed in with the pillow shaped Weber briquettes in one bag?  I only ever ran into that with that one bag and never encountered that again.

Does anyone happen to know why Weber opted to drop their own pillow shaped briquettes and rebadge an existing product?

Anyways, the big question I had is how well does this new Weber Charcoal/Royal Oak chef briquette do endurance-wise for a longer slow roast?  I’ve got a chimney worth lit up and a boneless pork shoulder cooking with it on the rotisserie now.

Hopefully the results are comparable to the previous Weber charcoal.  One thing I’ve noticed the two times I’ve used the new Weber briquettes is that they start up fast.  Much faster than any other briquettes I’ve used.

An hour in, the temperature given by the lid thermometer has fallen off a bit so I’ve opened the lower vent a bit wider.  The pork itself and the area around the barbecue in the back yard is starting to smell good.  Further updates as the cook progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Damn, I need to spin a butt soon! Keep us updated.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Pretty cool way to do a butt.  I've never spun one, but sounds like a fun way to do it!

cdp8

• WKC Brave
How did it turn out?? I can’t wait for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Sorry about the delay with the followup post.  Things got hectic.  The results:

The pork roast turned out beautifully, as seen in the pictures and I just enjoyed another big slice of leftovers from it for dinner at work tonight.

With respect to the charcoal, it’s a little bit inconclusive but I suspect that the running time might not be quite as good as the original Weber briquettes.  The temperature fell off a bit sooner but part of that might be from the very fast startup time I mentioned in my original post.  The charcoal was ready to go while I was still putting rub on the roast so it had a few minutes in the chimney before it got emptied into the baskets and then a couple more minutes while I put the drip pan in place and went back in to get the roast and bring it out.  This probably accounts for some amount of the lost running time.

The charcoal petered out and pretty much the right time as far as the rest of the day happened to play out.  I brought pork roast back into the house and let it rest while I finished up preparing the sides, and the barbecue cooled off while I did that and then had lunch.  I went out, packed up the rotisserie and it started raining moments after I put the cover on right as I left to go to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app