Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SpiderGrills S22 - Smoking  (Read 708 times)

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
SpiderGrills S22 - Smoking
« on: June 14, 2023, 10:53:01 AM »
I received this as a Christmas gift and just got my first full test down 2 weeks ago.

Interested in anyone else using it and on their kettles???

I did see a thread about the Venom and testing the controller. I assume similar control since both are from the same company. I like both products they sell!

I used B&B pellets for the first brisket cook on 22” kettle and this accessory. It comes with diffuser plate and drip channel attachment. The smoke produced was great and didn’t need to use smoke tube as with other industry grade  pellet grills I used in past. The 2nd cook I used Knottywood’s almond pellets and also got great results!!

Thanks for any input from anyone that has used this accessory on their kettles.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:54:36 AM by Gringo »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SpiderGrills S22 - Smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 11:27:03 AM »
I went through two of these trying to make it work.... first one must have had a blower fan issue, inside components of the unit melted, hot melted plastic came out the bottom and onto the deck, and finally it blew the lid off my blue one touch platinum - luckily I was not standing beside it.  Spider sent me a refund, I threw the entire unit in the trash.  My curiosity got the best of me and I tried another one a few months later.... More issues, had a hopper fire and it spit lit pellets out through the open vent slots in the bottom of the kettle burning holes in the deck mat (thank goodness I had that in place) and melted a hole in the plastic OTP support.  Spider sent me a refund, wanted me to send them the metal nozzle adapter which I did and threw the rest in the trash.

Let's just say I'm not a fan of the Spider 22.  I've read that it works fine for some which is great, I just didn't have a pleasant grilling experience with the unit.  I've read on their FB group that others have had similar issues.  Be careful!

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
Re: SpiderGrills S22 - Smoking
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 01:44:51 PM »
Oh wow! Sorry to hear of the safety issues!  I read about the hopper catching fire and the door needed to be closed all the time after receiving the gift. Limited experience with 2 brisket cooks under my belt on the 22. Whoa, very concerned about the combustion and pressure that it is popping lids!

Thanks for the good detailed info! Not using it today but will post a ‘live’ cook sometime today 2with some other accessories.

Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club