Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 70s restore project....  (Read 488 times)

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
70s restore project....
« on: May 17, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »
Guys info is greatly appreciated...
I'm picking this redhead up Sunday.  I have restored a few new kettles but never an old one.  I'm not looking to repaint just looking to try to prevent more rust.  Any suggestions?

I have polished ashtrays and legs so I'm good on that.  I'm assuming daisy wheels same thing and legs and tray. 

What would you use to attach the daisy wheels back on?

Any suggestions on triangle? 

Any tips would help me out. 

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

Re: 70s restore project....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 03:34:43 PM »
Cool Grill!

For attaching the vents probably the closest look to OEM will be a carriage bolt. It will have a nice rounded head but you may need to shave down the square collar at the top of the threads in able to make it fit properly into the round hole on the kettle.

For the triangle - start with #0000 steel wool and if that doesn't pull off the rust you can also try a brass wire wheel on a cordless drill. If that doesnt do it then last resort you can try a razor blade scraper to shave off the surface layer of rust. One of these methods should at very least get it looking a lot better.

The razor scraper/steel wool inside the bowl is your best bet as well. Below is a good link for some additional cleanup tips.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Good luck and look forward to your results!

Matt

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 06:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Im soaking ash and daisy as we speak

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 04:32:58 AM »
Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 04:59:56 AM »
That will look awesome!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 05:02:06 PM »
Need help only stainless I found was a screw and a wing nut bit the wing nut does not stay.. going to need something else for the daisy wheel

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 06:31:39 AM »
What you need is a SS machine screw and two SS nuts.  Ace hardware or equivalent should have what you need.  Tighten the first nut just snug enough to allow the vent to turn.  Tighten the second nut against the first nut while holding the screw in place.  It'll take a second set of hands but will hold indefinitely.  I like the machine screws that have an allen head - just looks a little more "on purpose" than a slot or phillips IMO.  It's probably advisable to put a SS washer between the first nut and the inside of the kettle to avoid scratching the porcelain.  You could also add a SS lock washer between the first and second nut if you're OCD like me.  ; )
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:35:33 AM by bamakettles »

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 11:24:10 AM »
What you need is a SS machine screw and two SS nuts.  Ace hardware or equivalent should have what you need.  Tighten the first nut just snug enough to allow the vent to turn.  Tighten the second nut against the first nut while holding the screw in place.  It'll take a second set of hands but will hold indefinitely.  I like the machine screws that have an allen head - just looks a little more "on purpose" than a slot or phillips IMO.  It's probably advisable to put a SS washer between the first nut and the inside of the kettle to avoid scratching the porcelain.  You could also add a SS lock washer between the first and second nut if you're OCD like me.  ; )
I ended up with a Carriage Bolt and a nut and I use aluminum polish on the bolt and it came out matching the daisy wheel

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
I ended up with a Carriage Bolt and a nut and I use aluminum polish on the bolt and it came out matching the daisy wheel

If it works, it works!  Congratulations on a grate restoration.  Now let's see some cooking!