Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying Something New Today With the Summit  (Read 452 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Trying Something New Today With the Summit
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:54:50 AM »
Last week I cooked two pork butts on my Summit and pretty much chased temps all day.  I have the billows fan and signals unit from ThermoWorks and did a search here for a solution using it.  I found where a fellow member used his gas assist lighting tube as the vehicle for air control on an SSP and I made the same for my summit and SSP.  Gunna try it out today with some ribs.  I’m also using a custom heavy steel deflector plate in the setup.  Cleaned up my original black kettle this morning as well - nice to get it out.  BTW Costco has ribs this weekend for $1.99/lb.  Of course Beaux is with me every step keeping me company.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:57:01 AM by bamakettles »

rich

• Smokey Joe
Re: Trying Something New Today With the Summit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 02:14:21 PM »
Fun!
Hopefully you can share with us the time/temp graph.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 03:23:08 PM »
Worked well until I peeked and wrapped.  Very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
Best ribs I’ve ever made, wife agrees.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
Awesome!! thanks for sharing!

I’m curious, so you wrapped at 4? Did you leave the grill open? Or those 20° came from the 30 sec. O2 blast?
At any rate, good cook. Kudos!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Trying Something New Today With the Summit
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 05:28:06 AM »
Thank you!  Ribs went on around the 2.2 mark.  Method was 2.5 on the grate, 1.5 wrapped (meat side down with butter pats) and .5 open meat side up foil boat method.  Had sugar free sauce on the side for dipping, didn’t use much at all.  All cooking was with the lid closed.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 05:30:27 AM by bamakettles »

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 07:36:35 PM »
Beaux is the best grill assistant! (off topic question alert)Where do you get the Cuisinart mats?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 03:28:06 AM »

Beaux is the best grill assistant! (off topic question alert)Where do you get the Cuisinart mats?
Thanks, he’s a lot of fun and is by my side with whatever I’m doing.  He especially likes to nose the charcoal dust when I’m emptying the ash pans.

I got the mat from Amazon and really like it.  Funny whenever I sell a grill I usually take the grill pictures on the mat and the first question I get is whether or not the mat comes with it.  I recommend this one, it’s heavy duty and gives me some peace of mind when grilling on the deck.

Cuisinart CGMT-300, 65” x 36, 65" x 36", Premium Deck and Patio Grill Mat, 65" x 35" https://a.co/d/3KtpReH

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 05:12:52 AM »
So I have to ask. What it the advantage of using the gas assist tube to push the air in, over the plug in the bowl? Is it to eliminate the possibility of uncontrolled air coming into the bowl via the gas assist tube? I have done a few overnight cooks on my summit, temps were mostly steady,  but I live in a wide open area, and it gets pretty windy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 05:24:56 AM »

So I have to ask. What it the advantage of using the gas assist tube to push the air in, over the plug in the bowl? Is it to eliminate the possibility of uncontrolled air coming into the bowl via the gas assist tube? I have done a few overnight cooks on my summit, temps were mostly steady,  but I live in a wide open area, and it gets pretty windy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
This setup is for my Summit and my SSP which doesn’t have a bowl hole - can be used on either.  Yes I can remove the plug on the Summit, but still would need to tape the holes in the igniter tube to keep it from sucking air.  This solution seemed to kill two birds with one stone.

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 06:31:46 AM »

Thanks, he’s a lot of fun and is by my side with whatever I’m doing.  He especially likes to nose the charcoal dust when I’m emptying the ash pans.

I got the mat from Amazon and really like it.  Funny whenever I sell a grill I usually take the grill pictures on the mat and the first question I get is whether or not the mat comes with it.  I recommend this one, it’s heavy duty and gives me some peace of mind when grilling on the deck.

Cuisinart CGMT-300, 65” x 36, 65" x 36", Premium Deck and Patio Grill Mat, 65" x 35" https://a.co/d/3KtpReH

Don't let him go down that road. It starts with ashes, and then he's going to look for the next best high.

Thanks for the info on the mats. I always see those in your pics and forget to ask.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 07:01:56 AM »

Don't let him go down that road. It starts with ashes, and then he's going to look for the next best high.

Thanks for the info on the mats. I always see those in your pics and forget to ask.
Haha, that's the best!  He is definitely hooked though on small sample burgers and vortex chicken thighs with crispy skin.  Could barely keep him away from the kettle the other night when the chicken was cooking.

Good luck with a mat.....they're definitely nice and an extra layer of protection for $40 is worth it IMO.