Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seasoning my new Craycorts  (Read 335 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Seasoning my new Craycorts
« on: August 04, 2022, 02:11:21 PM »
I guess this GGA is a searing machine.  It’s on low and I feel like Tom Horsman searing a steak on his caveman….. second stage in, going another hour, then cool and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

blu082003

• WKC Brave
Re: Seasoning my new Craycorts
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 05:51:30 PM »
Nice. I’ve had craycort envy for some time now. I’d be interested to hear your review

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 02:57:35 AM »
Love my craycorts, a match made in heaven.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile, but at one time they offered porcelain enameled grates for the GA’s.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 04:35:02 AM »
just in time for the promo Craycort is running
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 05:12:08 AM »
Love my craycorts, a match made in heaven.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile, but at one time they offered porcelain enameled grates for the GA’s.
I'm actually a bit miffed with them over this transaction.  I purchased the porcelain enameled version of the grate and when it arrived the packaging said nothing about porcelain enamel coating and I took it out of the box to find raw cast iron grates.  There were even directions on how to season the grates with oil before using.  I emailed Craycort immediately and their response the next day was:

"Hello Greg,

Our enameled grates and our regular cast iron look exactly the same, one has just been treated differently and so is more durable, better with rust etc. We have actually been sold out of the regular cast iron grates for a few months now and so it would not have been possible to send you one.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

There was some back and forth and finally she said:

"Hello Greg,

We don't use porcelain on our grates which a lot of people who create enameled grates do which creates a thick gray coating on your other enameled products. We use a high quality ceramic coating and baking at a high temperature . It’s thin but if you look closely you can see it.

Also we have been recently using our preseasoned boxes for both enameled and preseasoned grates to cut down on waste and manufacturing costs.

This can cause some confusion.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

So, I paid a little more for the same product.  I was expecting something coated like a Weber Q grate, but that's not what it is.  I really don't care one way or the other, but charging more for the basically the same item seems a little underhanded.  On a positive note, the grates seem very well made and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:09:06 AM »
just in time for the promo Craycort is running
Oh, cool, thanks!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 04:22:11 AM »
I'm actually a bit miffed with them over this transaction.  I purchased the porcelain enameled version of the grate and when it arrived the packaging said nothing about porcelain enamel coating and I took it out of the box to find raw cast iron grates.  There were even directions on how to season the grates with oil before using.  I emailed Craycort immediately and their response the next day was:

"Hello Greg,

Our enameled grates and our regular cast iron look exactly the same, one has just been treated differently and so is more durable, better with rust etc. We have actually been sold out of the regular cast iron grates for a few months now and so it would not have been possible to send you one.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

"Hello Greg,

We don't use porcelain on our grates which a lot of people who create enameled grates do which creates a thick gray coating on your other enameled products. We use a high quality ceramic coating and baking at a high temperature . It’s thin but if you look closely you can see it.

Also we have been recently using our preseasoned boxes for both enameled and preseasoned grates to cut down on waste and manufacturing costs.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

So, I paid a little more for the same product.  I was expecting something coated like a Weber Q grate, but that's not what it is.  I really don't care one way or the other, but charging more for the basically the same item seems a little underhanded.  On a positive note, the grates seem very well made and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

So they are enameled or no?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 04:54:06 AM »

"Hello Greg,

Sincerely,
Tracy"

"Hello Greg,

Sincerely,
Tracy"

So they are enameled or no?
No, but no big deal.  They’re seasoned now and I’m happy with them.