Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time kettle owner - disappointed in Weber.  (Read 411 times)

570Smoke

• Happy Cooker
First time kettle owner - disappointed in Weber.
« on: July 21, 2022, 10:22:54 AM »
I’ve been a long-time fan of outdoor cooking. Up until recently, I’ve been cooking on a gas grill & a Pit Barrel Cooker. A friend of mine invited me over and we did 2 racks of beef ribs on his 22”, and I was hooked. The kettle was mostly hands-off the whole cook.

A week later, I went out and purchased a 26”. The One-Touch lever is installed towards the back of the kettle in the wrong position (it’s facing the lid bail) I understand it’s not too difficult to change out, as it’s a wear item, but I shouldn’t have to do that on a new grill.

A week after I had purchased my 26”, the same buddy told me about Master-Touch kettles that were on a blowout sale. I went and purchased a factory-new 22” Master-Touch, for $100. During assembly, I noticed the air vents don’t close 100% with the ash catch ring installed. I thought about dremeling an extra 1/8” or so into the channel, so the one touch lever can go over more to properly close down.

What would you guys do? I just feel I shouldn’t have to do either of these things on a brand new kettle.

Joep

• WKC Brave
Re: First time kettle owner - disappointed in Weber.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »
Just bent the lever a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 10:49:15 AM »
One of my 26" kettles came with the vent handle on the wrong side.  I took the vent handle off and rotated the assembly to the correct side and reinstalled it.  All you need is a small flathead screwdriver to lift the rod up (with the bowl upside down) while you twist the vent handle.  For the 22 you could try the same thing - possible the 3 petals are not installed in the correct order which is causing your gap when closed.  Otherwise, you can bend the handle just a bit to get the closure you want.  If you can't get satisfaction trying these suggestions, you can always give Weber a call.  They have great customer service.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:42:40 AM »
You shouldn’t have to, but do and forget about it. If that’s not satisfactory, call Weber up and they’ll send replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club