Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restore or Preserve  (Read 386 times)

Crashrat

• WKC Brave
Restore or Preserve
« on: November 03, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Just wondering what all the collectors opinion is on restoring an old weber (50+years old) , chrome, paint etc, vs preserving an old grill with scares and rust.
I lean on the side of preserving old grills in the state they currently are, newer ones I'm apt to restore including touch up paint etc.
Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Re: Restore or Preserve
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
Needs pix to help here.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Restore or Preserve
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
I like to thoroughly clean and de-rust (triangle and metal wheels) my vintage finds and preserve them as is.  I’ve never painted a kettle.   I oil the rust spots.   I do like rehabbing old wood handles over replacing.  I have restored metal wheels and repainted white walls on old plastic ones. 

It’s all personal preference, but the scars tell a story. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 07:10:25 PM by michaelmilitello »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 07:26:23 PM »
It’s not worth touching up the porcelain with paint if you plan to cook on it. It will change color and flake off, looking worse that just a black spot. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with knocking off the surface rust on triangle or removing the oxidation from the aluminum legs and vents. But I think the general condition of the accessories should be close to that of the porcelain.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Crashrat

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 04:56:26 AM »
I like to thoroughly clean and de-rust (triangle and metal wheels) my vintage finds and preserve them as is.  I’ve never painted a kettle.   I oil the rust spots.   I do like rehabbing old wood handles over replacing.  I have restored metal wheels and repainted white walls on old plastic ones. 

@michaelmilitello after you remove the rust on the triangle how do you keep rust from forming again? Oil?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 07:34:38 AM »

Best method I have found for preventing rust on a cleaned up triangle is to spray it liberally with clear RustOleum spray paint.  It coats the chrome with a protective layer and prevents rust. You have to make sure and spray both sides of the triangle, paying attention to getting all the weld points of each individual rod.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:45:10 AM »

@michaelmilitello after you remove the rust on the triangle how do you keep rust from forming again? Oil?

As @Cellar2ful states, I use clear rustoleum.  I’ve also used silicone spray.   Both work very well for keeping the rust from coming back. 

Crashrat

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 11:23:40 AM »

Best method I have found for preventing rust on a cleaned up triangle is to spray it liberally with clear RustOleum spray paint.  It coats the chrome with a protective layer and prevents rust. You have to make sure and spray both sides of the triangle, paying attention to getting all the weld points of each individual rod.
@Cellar2ful is that spray a gloss or mat? If spayed on say, legs, would there be a unwanted addition shine to them to make it look like they were coated?
Thanks

Crashrat

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »
Needs pix to help here.
I've not been able to upload pics for a while for some reason

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »

@Cellar2ful is that spray a gloss or mat? If spayed on say, legs, would there be a unwanted addition shine to them to make it look like they were coated?
Thanks

RustOleum clear comes in gloss, satin and matte. I use gloss on my triangles.  I have never tried applying it on legs.  I don't really see the need as the legs are aluminum and don't rust.  The legs will eventually corrode or darken but that takes many many years. The legs can easily be shined with aluminum polish.   
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
I’ve also used clear enamel on metal wheels that have been de-rusted.  In this case, I had a Wood Dale that I wanted look clean, but maintain a weathered look.