Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My new (to me) SS Performer  (Read 265 times)

JNL14490

• Happy Cooker
My new (to me) SS Performer
« on: November 01, 2021, 05:45:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just picked up my first kettle this weekend. A family friend gave it to me for free with a rotisserie that has never been used. Overall the kettle is in good shape. I need to figure out what everyone is doing to retro a newer propane tank on it. It came with the original tank and fittings but it won't connect to a normal newer style propane tank.

I would post a picture but for some reason the site keeps giving me an error even though the picture size is small enough.

Jeff

JNL14490

• Happy Cooker
Re: My new (to me) SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 05:47:51 AM »
Picture attached maybe?

JNL14490

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 06:01:19 AM »
Here is a before picture.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 06:03:07 AM »
Looks really nice, and rotisserie too!  Tis the season for bird spinning...... No experience here with gas assist on these, but I'm sure someone will chime in.  Congrats!

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 06:30:01 AM »
Can't beat the price! Congrats!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »
Sweet grill, there are some mom and pop propane places that may recertify and fill your small tank, that tank will last a long time.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 08:28:19 AM »
Nice performer.
I agree with Joe, take it to a propane shop and have it recertified.
A few dollars to re-certify and $5 to fill up instead of throwing away $3 1lb tanks. It will last a long time on 1 fill up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

JNL14490

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:43:25 AM »
Nice performer.
I agree with Joe, take it to a propane shop and have it recertified.
A few dollars to re-certify and $5 to fill up instead of throwing away $3 1lb tanks. It will last a long time on 1 fill up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

My issue is that I don't know if the regulator is bad at this point. The tank still has some propane in it but when I have it connected to the regulator I just have propane hissing from under the handle of the tank. I can't hook up a new bottle to test the regulator since the fittings appear to be different. Also a new regulator specifically for the SS performers are ridiculously expensive now at 140-160 I have seen.

So I am considering buying the regulator for the new performer that takes the camping tanks at $50. Then get an adapter hose to be able to use a 20lb bottle or fill the camping tanks from the 20lb bottle. I figure I may need a new regulator anyway and this route will give me options. I would like to use the old one but I think it is on it's last leg.

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 03:41:48 AM »
Congrats on the ssp. Did you try lighting it with a stick lighter yet? Before buying a regulator I would disconnect the regulator hose from the gas tube and clean out the gas tube real good. They get spider cob webs in them sometimes and clogged up. I would also remove the igniter electrode and take sand paper to the tip to ensure good spark and easy lighting with the igniter button. Also clean the end of the regulator hose where it connects to the gas tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JNL14490

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
Congrats on the ssp. Did you try lighting it with a stick lighter yet? Before buying a regulator I would disconnect the regulator hose from the gas tube and clean out the gas tube real good. They get spider cob webs in them sometimes and clogged up. I would also remove the igniter electrode and take sand paper to the tip to ensure good spark and easy lighting with the igniter button. Also clean the end of the regulator hose where it connects to the gas tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks for the tips. I did take the regulator assembly and propane tank off the grill. I think there is actually something wrong with the nozzle on the tank because propane leaks from it when connected to the regulator.

In the meantime I went ahead and ordered a regulator assembly from the new performer to use the 1lb camping bottles. It was 46 bucks on Amazon. I'll keep the old regulator and tank around to mess with and maybe get working again. I just don't have time lately to troubleshoot more and want to get the grill running. I do need to remove the gas tube and clean that assembly along with the sparker and make sure that is working properly.

Also I was able to salvage the old grill grate. It was rusted so I put it in a trash bag and sprayed it with a solution of vinegar and baking soda. I let that sit for about and hour and the rust scrubbed off relatively easily with a grill brush. Rinsed clean with water and oiled with some Canola oil. The rust was actually on the outside of the chrome grate. Once scrubbed the chrome finish was still there. I don't think this grate was used very much... Now I can at least use the grill while the regulator gets in.