Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: To drill or not to drill....  (Read 496 times)

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
To drill or not to drill....
« on: October 12, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
So I wanted a chance to practice drilling out the rivets on bowl/lid dampers and the old lid to my SJ volunteered itself for the cause.
Glad I had a chance to practice on the old messed up lid before trying my hand on anything else 😬
So for anyone else who has done this, what do you do to keep the damn rivet from just spinning like mad as the bit cuts in? I tried going slower but then the drill bit didn't cut in at ALL.
And when I did finally make it through my drill flew forward and left a dent on the lid!
Definitely not for the squeamish....
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Erictag

• WKC Brave
Re: To drill or not to drill....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 04:59:18 PM »
I start with a very small bit to make a pilot hole, then follow up with the size bit that is needed to pop the rivet.  The first bit wont have as much resistance, and minimizes the spinning. The pilot hole will allow the larger bit to dig into the rivet. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
To drill or not to drill....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »
Stay away from the drill and use a rotary tool or die grinder with a carbide burr bit to grind off the rivet.  If you'll replace it with nut and bolt, use  stainless button head bolt.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:41:14 PM by Jules V. »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »
Stay away from the drill and use a rotary tool or die grinder with a carbide burr bit to grind off the rivet.  If you'll replace it with nut and bolt, use  stainless button head bolt.

Agreed. It's easier to cut /grind it from the inside especially if you have a steady hand
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »

Agreed. It's easier to cut /grind it from the inside especially if you have a steady hand

You ever see Blazing Saddles? 😄
https://tenor.com/bBT6Y.gif
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
I like that you practiced on a old grill which is a good idea.
I am a retired aircraft worker and have drilled out thousands of rivets,of many different types. Raised head as used on the Weber vents countersink or flush to the surface rivets . I would do is get two pieces of metal that you can review together, with several pop rivets that are of the same type as used on the vent. Before you drill use back up support behind the revit so your drill dose not fall thru. As stated used a smaller drill bit to start then finish with a larger bit. Finding out the size needed is done by measuring the bottom side of the rivet diameter. Use a variable speed drill start at slower speed and raise your speed as you enter the rivet. To fast causes bit burn, also use a good quality bit cobalt is great stays sharp and is harder to burn.
Grinding works if you have a steady hand and strong carbide dices as they can Crack and explode sort of and scratch your lid, they can also bit into the rivet sort of grab, chatter and bounce off the rivet and scratch your lid.

What ever you choose patients and prep is key to a good result.
Then as stated above replace with quality stainless hardware.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app