Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So, stupid question I know...  (Read 462 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
So, stupid question I know...
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:03:29 AM »
Went over to my buddy's house yesterday. He had a brand-new, never before used, fully assembled Spirit II E-310 gas grill with a full propane tank.

On a previous weekend he had run it for 20 minutes to burn off the factory production oils, coatings, etc.

This was the maiden voyage, so to speak. Sirloins and Dungeness w asparagus and grilled lemon halves.

Anhyow, I warmed the S.O.B. up for a good 5 minutes, added 4 pounds of sirloins, and shut the lid. It NEVER got much above 400, and mostly cooked around 350.  I wanted some initial 500 plus temps for searing before turning it down to middle heat for a slower cook.  Didn't get there.  The burner knobs were on high the entire time.  I'm not a gasser kinda guy usually, so I'm a bit mystified at what I was doing wrong.

So, stupid question I know... What was I doing wrong?

Steaks turned out okay, a little overdone, but certainly edible. The crab and accompaniments turned out well also. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
So, stupid question I know...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
I’m no gas grill pro, but I use our ‘94 Genesis quite a bit.  I always give it a good 20 minutes to warm up before introducing cold meat to it.  Seems to work nicely.  It does have cast iron grates, so I think that helps retain heat during a cook.  I usually have to turn it down (3 burners) all to medium-low while cooking.  Keeping it at high takes the thermometer to max or around 550 - 600F.  One thing for sure though, all gas grills act differently based on ventilation design.  I really like the early Genesis models with 3 left to right burners and all those flavorizer bars that run north/south and east/west.

In your case I think the grill needed a good 15 - 20 minutes to warm up before trying to cook.  If after 20-30 minutes the grill never makes it to 400F there’s a problem with a clogged burner tube or some issue with fuel supply.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 06:26:36 AM by bamakettles »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: So, stupid question I know...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
Try turning the propane tank off and then turn burners on to relieve pressure. Turn burners back off, then reopen the tank valve slowly. If it is opened too quickly it has a safety that slows the flow of propane. Then re-light the grill and let it preheat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:19:13 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:14 AM »
Thanks Bama and Kneab, I will certainly try that when next I venture up to his place for a grilling and whisky session.

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »
10 minutes is the minimum I would wait. 15 is better.
For steaks make sure the grills are wide side up. Thin side’s great for fish.