Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Accessories Should I Consider for My New Summit Kamado?  (Read 344 times)

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
What Accessories Should I Consider for My New Summit Kamado?
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
After reading a lot here and in Weber FaceBook groups as well as watching a bunch of YouTube, I'm sold on picking up a brand new Weber Summit Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center!

Question is... as a beginner... what accessories do you guys recommend to have for it?

A few things I'm thinking....

As a beginner, I know I'll need the Weber Connect Smart Grilling Hub.

Does a sear grate actually do something for flavor/cook quality or is it mostly for aesthetics?

Would cedar planks be good to have for grilling fish?

Do you wrap you low -n- slow meats with Butcher Paper?

Is there any particular grill brush(es) that work best for the Summit?

What are good gloves to use for handling hot meats directly? Weber has silicon ones, but is there something better that won't taint the food?

Summit Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Re: What Accessories Should I Consider for My New Summit Kamado?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »
Disregard.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:43:45 PM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:41:13 PM »
I suggest just cooking stuff. You will screw some up, but it will be a learning experience. Accessories  do not make you a cook. Experience does.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 02:49:22 AM »
Like Harry Soo told me..."It's not the grill, it's the Pit Master."
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:00 AM »
meat and charcoal to start, as I have stated in the past, get to cooking !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 06:04:56 AM »

Like Harry Soo told me..."It's not the grill, it's the Pit Master."
I saw some Harry Soo YouTube while I was researching grills. He seems to understand the science behind grilling to perfection, no?

For instance, I see some people put wood chips on tops of charcoal and others say to put it under, so it smolders. Harry, on the other hand, quickly blurted out a bunch of chemical reaction reasons why wood should go under the coal.

Is this the guru to follow as I’m learning my new Summit Kamado?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Summit Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center

AD18

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 12:46:33 PM »
Depends on the road you're going down.  Basics.  Good pair of oven mitts to move stuff around on/around grate.  A Thermaworks instant read thermometer (priceless) and a Thermaworks large display timer.  A set of good quality, stout, long handled tongs.  Not a big fan of spatulas or forks.  Grilling, not much more.  Low and slow.  Add a remote temperature gauge to watch grate and meat temp.  A heat deflector for indirect cooking.  I use foil, never tried butcher paper but has a lot of followers.  Wood chunks for flavour.  Not much else to start out.  Start cooking and see what you like, learn from what you screw up, and try again.  As you move down the kamado road a pizza stone and bag of corn meal is fun.  Various types of wood chunks for different smoke flavour, test to see what you like.  Don't go out and blow a pile of $ right at beginning, start simple and build over time.  And most importantly a good coolie cup or insulated glass for beverage of choice while you learn.  Best of luck and enjoy the ride:)     
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 01:01:27 PM by AD18 »

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:15:35 AM »
$300 in charcoal and meat.

Practice, practice, practice.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 07:10:39 AM »
What he said ^^
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 03:13:29 PM »
Don’t over think it.  Meat and wood.  You can spend money, have the best scuba gear, fins, snorkel, goggles, etc but they won’t mean anything if you don’t jump in the water.  All the great accessories will help make cooks easier, but not without experience. Get cooking!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!