Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first brisket  (Read 373 times)

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
My first brisket
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
This is my first brisket.  I cooked this on my 22" WK.  It took 13 hours (11:45pm to 12:45pm) with 5 hours of resting. 

There was none left so I assume it was good.

"Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
Re: My first brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »
Looks awesome! Brisket will be my last cook before two a days start in August. Once that happens I’ll just have time for quick easy cooks until November/December.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 02:23:49 AM »
Good looking first brisket !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 04:52:04 AM »
Nice bark. Looks good

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 05:28:56 AM »
Looks great, I'll be doing my first tomorrow night - similar timeline to make sure it's ready when the fam arrives on Friday.  If you have a chance maybe you can share your method/temps and rub of choice?

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »
Very nice. Looks really good. I never have been able to get a brisket done on the kettle. I ruined every one. Successfully done…nice job.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 07:54:45 AM »
Good looking brisket.  You nailed it.  My first brisket attempt was a complete disaster. 

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
Looks great, I'll be doing my first tomorrow night - similar timeline to make sure it's ready when the fam arrives on Friday.  If you have a chance maybe you can share your method/temps and rub of choice?

No problem.

Brisket

Choice brisket from my local butcher.  About 12.5 pounds.  He was nice enough to trim it for me and left the right amount of fat.

Rub

(doubled the recipe to ensure I had enough for the whole brisket)
salt (3 tablespoons)
pepper (3 tablespoons)
garlic powder (2 tablespoons)
cayenne pepper (2 teaspoons)
Yellow Mustard as the binder

I let the rub set into the brisket for about 6 hours on a half size baking sheet with metal rack.  I only placed two pieces of loose parchment paper over the brisket.  When I pulled from the fridge, the rub was just starting to get soft.  I let it come to room temperature for 2 hours.

Components

1.  1/5 of Wild Turkey (for me)
2.  Lots of cigars (for me)
3.  Fireboard 2 Pro with fan
4.  Slow N Sear
5.  Slow N Sear Griddle
6.  Kingsford Blue
7.  Apple Wood chunks
8.  Spritz bottle with just water
9.  Butcher paper
10. Tinfoil
11. Cooler
12. Wife's favorite towels

Process 

1.  Lit coals and followed the instructions for the Slow N Sear
2.  Set the Fireboard up for 225 degrees
3.  I let the grill come up to temperature for 1 hour
4.  Place the brisket on fat cap up because the heat comes over the top in the Weber
5.  Place one temperature probe in the point and the other in the center where the point and flat come together
6.  Spritzed the edges every two hours - until wrapped
7.  Around the 4 hour mark, the bark on the fat cap was good and I flipped the brisket
8.  At the 7 hour mark, I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper (temperature was around 165-170)
9.  I let it cook for another 6 hours until I hit 203 degrees on the flat and 205 on the point.
10. I pulled the brisket and let it sit on the counter in the butcher paper until 190 degrees.
11. I wrapped tightly in tinfoil over the butcher paper and placed in a cooler with all of the towels I could find for about 5 hours.  It was 148 degrees at 6pm.

My Weber never stayed at 225.  It averaged about 230 and would spike upwards of 240-250 after i opened the lid.  I had both lower and upper vents closed because of smoke leaking out around the seal. 

I watched hundreds of videos and took lots of notes.  If you can use a temperature controller, that makes all the difference in the world of not having to worry so much about temperature issues. 

The main thing that I took away from all of the videos I watched was that it didn't matter if you did everything correctly, a brisket is a tough piece of meat that will do what it wants at the end of the day.

Hopefully this helps.   

"Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:24:28 PM »

No problem.

Brisket

Choice brisket from my local butcher.  About 12.5 pounds.  He was nice enough to trim it for me and left the right amount of fat.

Rub

salt (3 tablespoons)
pepper (3 tablespoons)

I let the rub set into the brisket for about 6 hours on a half size baking sheet with metal rack.  I only placed two pieces of loose parchment paper over the brisket.  When I pulled from the fridge, the rub was just starting to get soft.  I let it come to room temperature for 2 hours.

Components

4.  Slow N Sear
5.  Slow N Sear Griddle
6.  Kingsford Blue
7.  Apple Wood chunks
9.  Butcher paper
10. Tinfoil
11. Cooler

Process 

4.  Place the brisket on fat cap up because the heat comes over the top in the Weber
5.  Place one temperature probe in the point and the other in the center where the point and flat come together
7.  Around the 4 hour mark, the bark on the fat cap was good and I flipped the brisket
8.  At the 7 hour mark, I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper (temperature was around 165-170)
9.  I let it cook for another 6 hours until I hit 203 degrees on the flat and 205 on the point.
10. I pulled the brisket and let it sit on the counter in the butcher paper until 190 degrees.
11. I wrapped tightly in tinfoil over the butcher paper and placed in a cooler with all of the towels I could find for about 5 hours.  It was 148 degrees at 6pm.

My Weber never stayed at 225.  It averaged about 230 and would spike upwards of 240-250 after i opened the lid.  I had both lower and upper vents closed because of smoke leaking out around the seal. 

I watched hundreds of videos and took lots of notes.  If you can use a temperature controller, that makes all the difference in the world of not having to worry so much about temperature issues. 

The main thing that I took away from all of the videos I watched was that it didn't matter if you did everything correctly, a brisket is a tough piece of meat that will do what it wants at the end of the day.

Hopefully this helps.   

Thanks so much!  I like the libation and cigars on the list of ingredients..... I've been doing a lot of research / video watching myself and have a game plan in mind.  I think I'll be ok as long as the predicted rain goes somewhere else.  Nice write-up!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »

No problem.

Brisket

Rub

salt (3 tablespoons)
pepper (3 tablespoons)

Components

4.  Slow N Sear
5.  Slow N Sear Griddle
6.  Kingsford Blue
7.  Apple Wood chunks
9.  Butcher paper
10. Tinfoil
11. Cooler

Process 

Hopefully this helps.   
Awesome write up, I do one thing different Makers Mark LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 05:17:29 AM »
nice cook !   thanks for sharing- im a beer guy so….
and Texan so i would do more pepper to salt - but im sure it was a winner — looks good for sure!

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
nice cook !   thanks for sharing- im a beer guy so….
and Texan so i would do more pepper to salt - but im sure it was a winner — looks good for sure!

I found the rub recipe on the web on another bbq forum.  I was only going to use salt and pepper but decided to give this a try.  It had a little kick to it.  My preference is 2:1 (pepper:salt). 

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 02:24:42 AM »
Way to go on your first brisket! Looks great.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador