Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Sales for the 4th? Will we ever see them again?  (Read 799 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal Sales for the 4th? Will we ever see them again?
« on: June 21, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »
It's a little early for sale flyers for the 4th but has anyone heard anything about sales on charcoal? I'm wondering if the half off sales we always got from big box stores were a permanent casualty of covid? What do you think, will we ever get back to those?

buttman

• WKC Brave
Re: Charcoal Sales for the 4th? Will we ever see them again?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:55 PM »
I think those days are gone…

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 02:25:02 PM »
Sam's Club always has a small sale for the 4th. They did for memorial day.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »
Never. Gone. The good old days.
But Costco had 34 pound bags of Cowboy Lump for $19. Yes, I bought one.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 08:51:10 PM »
I have used cowboy. What did you think about it? Obviously it's ok, just not a favorite?  I like the jealous devil lump better but it's pricey. And I too bought some Costco cowboy.
Never. Gone. The good old days.
But Costco had 34 pound bags of Cowboy Lump for $19. Yes, I bought one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 09:09:19 AM »
I have used cowboy. What did you think about it? Obviously it's ok, just not a favorite?  I like the jealous devil lump better but it's pricey. And I too bought some Costco cowboy.

I have used Cowboy and B&B lump. Could not tell much difference. But it is rare for me, as briquettes are more often used.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 09:46:24 AM »
Don't expect anything from Weber! They did away with the Weber Charcoal Briquettes in the U.S., but still offers it to the rest of the world.

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
Don't expect anything from Weber! They did away with the Weber Charcoal Briquettes in the U.S., but still offers it to the rest of the world.

I have 4 or 5 bags of this stuff that I've never used.  July 4th may be a great opportunity for a maiden voyage  8)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »
I'm down to my last 8 bags of Weber coals [emoji3064]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 11:31:03 AM »
I bought two bags of Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes at Wal Mart and tried them on the last cook.  Had one chimney fully lit poured on some old coals from the last cook in my slow n sear and it burned for 5 hours with all vents open.  Baked potatoes for the first part of the cook, then seared some filets.  I was very pleased with it.  I've read that these are the same as the Weber charcoal that used to be here - made by Royal Oak.  $8 for a 16lb bag isn't bad.

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »
I bought two bags of Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes at Wal Mart and tried them on the last cook.  Had one chimney fully lit poured on some old coals from the last cook in my slow n sear and it burned for 5 hours with all vents open.  Baked potatoes for the first part of the cook, then seared some filets.  I was very pleased with it.  I've read that these are the same as the Weber charcoal that used to be here - made by Royal Oak.  $8 for a 16lb bag isn't bad.

I will have to check our local Walmart and see if they carry that. I picked up a bag of whatever their house brand is (“Expert Grill” or some such hoo-ha) just because it was cheap (around five bucks for 16 lbs) so I figured it was worth a try. Small briquettes, crumbly, real coarse texture, not particularly impressive at all. I’m looking forward to being done with it.

Local True Value had KBB twin-20 lb bags last week for just under $18. Might not have seemed like a deal a few years ago, but 45 cents a pound seems reasonable these days.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 03:07:00 PM »

I think those days are gone…

I think so too at least for the foreseeable future. At least Costco still has kingsford pro 2 bags for $15 which is a great deal imo.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
I just started using charcoal a couple of months ago and I thought the two 20 pound bags for 19 bucks was a good deal. Ignorance was bliss.

Red93Lightning

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »
I can confirm that the Royal Oak all natural is not the exact same as the Weber.  They have a different shape than the Weber stuff does.  I’m hoping that’s the only difference but I have not burned any yet to confirm. I really liked the Weber charcoal and I’m down to my last bag.  I picked up some some royal oak today to try out and hope it burns well enough for basic cooks like burgers and brats and I can run B&B for longer cooks or more expensive cuts.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 03:54:39 PM »
I think it is the Royal Oak Chef's Select that is rumored to be the same as Weber Briquettes.  However, I have no way of testing the veracity of that rumor.  I will say, the RO natural is a solid product though.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;