Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seeking Advice On Making Pulled Chicken From Whole Chickens  (Read 531 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Hey guys. Been some time since my last post here.

I have 3 whole chickens seasoned and drying in the bottom of my fridge uncovered. Tomorrow I am gonna smoke them and after a good covered rest pull the meat and mix with a little sauce and sell it.

Normally I go offset high heat........like 440f lid vent...........chicken upside down with the dark meat towards the heat till crispy then flip with the white meat towards the heat to finish. If darkness is reached before done I foil. Done for me is 169-172 in the deepest portion of the breast.

I have never done pulled chicken with white meat or whole chicken. It is gonna be done whole but beyond that my mind is still full of strands. Old duder needs a little advice fellow bbq nutters. Actual experience rather than opinion would be cool man.

I have read online where guys are finishing at regular temps where others are going to 195-204 just like pulled pork and brisket. Has anyone ever taken a whole chicken to 200? If so what was the consistency and moisture level on the white meat? What grate temp was used? Am I on my own here?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:04:58 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Seeking Advice On Making Pulled Chicken From Whole Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
I would be in the camp of not going too 200 with chicken. I feel it would be really dry and not very edible. On the other hand maybe if you took it too 165, then placed in foil pan with some chicken broth…it would be doable? Maybe covered foil pan?  Or you could just shred it with some forks right at 165.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:59:58 PM by bbqking01 »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Seeking Advice On Making Pulled Chicken From Whole Chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »
I cut my chickens in half and cook on the top rack of the wsm with no water pan for two hours. 300ish.  I flip once or twice. I cook until breast is around 160. Dark meat is usually around 175. Fall apart tender and juicy.

I’ve also cooked indirect on the kettle at 250-275 and basted with a mix of Italian dressing and a little bbq sauce. Also excellent results.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
A different approach for what it’s worth…

Giving one of my green 22s to a neighbor (they’re the same age as my kids - grill and kids come to think of it)

Anyway this weekend I’m going show them how to do pulled chicken - we’ll be making sliders. One of our favorites and did it at our last beach meetup.

Spatchcocked chicken, seasoned with salt, oregano and rosemary. Cooked in a CI pan on the grill. Thin layer of oil in the pan. Coals pretty much on half the grate, but not really strict about it. Full chimney.

Start open side down, flip about half way done. Cook to “done” temps - I agree that 200 is too much. Usually 45-60 minutes depending on poundage.

Let it rest some so I don’t burn my delicate fingers 🤪  Once ready, put the wings to the side for my wife, Put some gloves on and pull all I can get.

Just my experience and two cents.

Good luck with your cook!

-Rick

Dude, relax your chicken.

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:03 AM »
I have made pulled chicken numerous times for football games.  I butterfly the chickens, cook at 250 and pull them at 200.  I mix the white meat and dark meat together.  Also, I do mix a bit of sauce in with the meat, since people seem to like that. Even without the sauce, I found the combination of white and dark meat is not dry.   I like to serve with pickles and pickled red onions.  Have fun.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 04:44:54 AM »
Hey guys. Been some time since my last post here.

I have 3 whole chickens seasoned and drying in the bottom of my fridge uncovered. Tomorrow I am gonna smoke them and after a good covered rest pull the meat and mix with a little sauce and sell it.

Normally I go offset high heat........like 440f lid vent...........chicken upside down with the dark meat towards the heat till crispy then flip with the white meat towards the heat to finish. If darkness is reached before done I foil. Done for me is 169-172 in the deepest portion of the breast.

I have never done pulled chicken with white meat or whole chicken. It is gonna be done whole but beyond that my mind is still full of strands. Old duder needs a little advice fellow bbq nutters. Actual experience rather than opinion would be cool man.

I have read online where guys are finishing at regular temps where others are going to 195-204 just like pulled pork and brisket. Has anyone ever taken a whole chicken to 200? If so what was the consistency and moisture level on the white meat? What grate temp was used? Am I on my own here?
The reason to take a butt or brisket to 200 is to get the fat inside the meat to render into the meat giving the meat that melt in your mouth quality.   There is no such fat in the chicken breast. I'd fear drying out the chicken at those temps.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 06:23:50 AM »
A different approach for what it’s worth…

Giving one of my green 22s to a neighbor (they’re the same age as my kids - grill and kids come to think of it)

Anyway this weekend I’m going show them how to do pulled chicken - we’ll be making sliders. One of our favorites and did it at our last beach meetup.

Spatchcocked chicken, seasoned with salt, oregano and rosemary. Cooked in a CI pan on the grill. Thin layer of oil in the pan. Coals pretty much on half the grate, but not really strict about it. Full chimney.

Start open side down, flip about half way done. Cook to “done” temps - I agree that 200 is too much. Usually 45-60 minutes depending on poundage.

Let it rest some so I don’t burn my delicate fingers 🤪  Once ready, put the wings to the side for my wife, Put some gloves on and pull all I can get.

That pan would ensure a crispy skin I'd think. Found a thing put out by Traeger where they remove the skin at the end and crisp it on a baking sheet before cutting it up and mixing with the chicken shred. Oh baby!!!! Wings are the wife's and cook's privilege man.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 06:28:35 AM »
The reason to take a butt or brisket to 200 is to get the fat inside the meat to render into the meat giving the meat that melt in your mouth quality.   There is no such fat in the chicken breast. I'd fear drying out the chicken at those temps.

I used to think that too till I found out I was wrong.

Finish temp internal on butts and brisket is lower when the chamber temp is lower. I often finish both cuts of meat wrapped and in my oven at 210f. When this happens the meat is ready to be pulled BELOW 200f internal. I have had butts done at 189 and I have had brisket done at 198 internal temps. This is probe tender

When finishing at 225-250f grate or oven temp the internal is what you'd expect.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »

Finish temp internal on butts and brisket is lower when the chamber temp is lower.

Yes. True dat. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »
MacEggs said I could not ask a question about a cook........get answers..........and not provide any feedback, followup or pictures afterwards or I'd be a friggin' squid.

I am leaving the birds whole and as I am selling this food and thus have a measure of goodwill to maintain am going to proceed with caution. Gonna keep temp around 225-240 grate....pull at around 170 in the breast..........take the skin off soon afterwards and crisp it on a baking sheet and if acceptable mix it in with the meat. Mix a small amount of sauce in the end product and put it out. I think I will do a bird to 200 but I will do only 1 and not have it pre-sold to go out.

I will add more pictures whence more done and fully done. Don't want some egg making duder accusing me of sea creature behavior.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:13:19 AM by MrHoss »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 10:45:04 AM »
MacEggs said I could not ask a question about a cook........get answers..........and not provide any feedback, followup or pictures afterwards or I'd be a friggin' squid.

I am leaving the birds whole and as I am selling this food and thus have a measure of goodwill to maintain am going to proceed with caution. Gonna keep temp around 225-240 grate....pull at around 170 in the breast..........take the skin off soon afterwards and crisp it on a baking sheet and if acceptable mix it in with the meat. Mix a small amount of sauce in the end product and put it out. I think I will do a bird to 200 but I will do only 1 and not have it pre-sold to go out.

I will add more pictures whence more done and fully done. Don't want some egg making duder accusing me of sea creature behavior.
looks and sounds like a grate plan
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »
I have made pulled chicken numerous times for football games.  I butterfly the chickens, cook at 250 and pull them at 200.

Thanks. I have had chicken that the folks serving it said was being taken to 200. It was a Jerk stand at a festival and the meat had been "cooked" in an oven I was told then brought to the booth to be taken to 200 on a gasser. They were running behind and I could hear the lady running the front attempting to placate the crowd waiting. The chicken was moist and "fall" apart and served on the bone.

I think what I am gonna do is take a whole chicken and cook it to 200 to see for myself. But not on a cook where I have people set to buy it from me.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 03:50:42 PM »

I took the birds to 168-172 internal on the white meat across the 3 of them. Brought them inside in a pan and covered with aluminum foil for fifteen minutes then removed the skin and put it in the oven at 350f to crisp up. I filipped it like bacon and after a toweling and cooling it got cut in small hunks and added to the chicken shred with some vinegar spiked Bullseye sauce to make it thin. I sold it at 20 bucks a pound....5 pounds of it..........and have gotten compliments on 3 of the boxes I sent out. There was almost 3 quarters of a pound for my use left.

I had more pictures but I uploaded a bunch of pictures and lost them. Now the damn clubs system says I cannot upload them again as it would be a duplication. Screw it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:02:20 PM by MrHoss »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »
Coming right along !

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 06:39:35 PM »
Looks and sounds amazing. I really like the idea of crisping the skin and adding it back. Very cool.  Are you selling right out of your house or what?