Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Controlling temperature of a kettle  (Read 334 times)

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
Controlling temperature of a kettle
« on: May 19, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new to cooking with the kettle, there’s been something that lingers in my mind about controlling temperatures and maybe someone could help provide some insight.

If I cook indirect with a 2 zone fire with a whole chimney of briquettes banked to one side, meat on the other side with the vent over the meat, I get around 350.

When I do 3 zone fire, full chimney maybe 325

Now, how is it that I see some videos of someone starting with a small amount of lit coals, maybe 1/4 chimney, 25-30 briquettes or even just using a torch to light some up and getting temps of 325+

Am I doing something wrong? I’ve never been good at science, but I thought if you can get 225-250 with 5 lit coals, how is it that I am doing a whole chimney and only getting 350? It seems I’m using more than necessary.

Is it the amount of food? Is it because I cook direct sometimes? My vents are always wide open and at times it seems that it struggles to stay at the 325+ range. I’ve literally never had to adjust my dampers which seems a bit odd to me.

I don’t mind using charcoal, but it’s about the ability to control the temps and somewhat master it. That way I could replicate it every time, instead of arbitrarily pouring briquettes in the chimney and praying, it’d be nice to know how to use fuel effectively.

Sorry for the long read thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:47:26 PM by MapleLeaf.kettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Controlling temperature of a kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
It’s just like a wood burning stove. More oxygen more heat. I’ve never used a tiny amount of coals so I don’t know about that. I shut down the kettle after use and reuse the unlit coal on the next cook so I never worry about amounts.

The kettle is limited by the vents, so at some point it doesn’t matter if you add more fuel without more air.

If you want to crank your temp up, cook with the lid cracked. Your temps will move up in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Controlling temperature of a kettle
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 02:22:12 AM »
I too am like @HoosierKettle I load it every time and shut down after and save the coals, typically if I am cooking indirect with my SNS loaded and the vent over the meat my temp gauge on the lid pegs out because it is right over the coals but is running 325- 375 at the cook grate near the meat. if you want lower temps adjust your lower vent. Not sure I am any help. I am typically cooking on a 26 and if I want higher grate temps I crack the lid just a little
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 07:41:42 AM »
agree- coal amounts do not matter as much a ventilation- i can slightly open the lower vents and open the top 1/2 or less and maintain 225 degrees with two full baskets of charcoal for hours and hours  - and can crank it up to near 500 by opening vents wide open. if i need it hotter than 450-500 i use a vortex which will get temps up around 700-900 degrees with vents open all the way

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 05:56:57 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind when using a kettle or smoker is fuel type. There is a big difference and feel using Lump Charcoal vs Briquettes.

I personally use Lump 90% of the time. Bought a bag a Kingsford at ShopRite two weeks ago just to switch it up. After 3 cooks I have to say I forgot how different they are.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »
On the 26, with the vortex, using HoosierKettle's cracking lid tip, I get around 500-550 oven temp using briquettes for about an hour-plus.

agree- coal amounts do not matter as much a ventilation- i can slightly open the lower vents and open the top 1/2 or less and maintain 225 degrees with two full baskets of charcoal for hours and hours  - and can crank it up to near 500 by opening vents wide open. if i need it hotter than 450-500 i use a vortex which will get temps up around 700-900 degrees with vents open all the way

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 04:18:09 AM »
I've been doing different fuels for different cooks.   It's kinda fun trying different fuels.  B&B Oak Briquettes for steak or fish.  Weber Briquettes for wings or burgers or low and slow.  Lump for steak. 

Picking up an SNS XL today.  Pumped to try.
One other thing to keep in mind when using a kettle or smoker is fuel type. There is a big difference and feel using Lump Charcoal vs Briquettes.

I personally use Lump 90% of the time. Bought a bag a Kingsford at ShopRite two weeks ago just to switch it up. After 3 cooks I have to say I forgot how different they are.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:51:50 AM »
I may be the only one but I place the therm over the meat when cooking indirect. I want to know the temps near the meat, not the temp over the raging hot coals. With a full chimney of briqs I can cook around 450 for an hour or so with no problem.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 08:33:17 AM »

On the 26, with the vortex, using HoosierKettle's cracking lid tip, I get around 500-550 oven temp using briquettes for about an hour-plus.

The 26 has the same ventilation as a 22 so I utilize the lid crack method much more often on it then a 22. It could really use a larger lid vent to have the same temp range as a 22 without cracking the lid.