Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Level of smoke - charcoal snake vs diffuser  (Read 283 times)

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
Level of smoke - charcoal snake vs diffuser
« on: March 01, 2021, 02:17:54 PM »
I remember watching the "throwdown" that Baby Back Maniac did on YouTube between the WSC and the 26" kettle:
https://youtu.be/EXB_lQYWols
At the end of the cook he says that the meat on from the Summit while good didn't have as much smoke flavor as the meat from the kettle. I'm going to make a guess that the big reason for the different amounts of smoke flavor is due to the diffuser being a buffer between the smoke source and the meat.
I have noticed that if I do a charcoal snake on my kettle I get a fairly heavy amount of smoke flavor on whatever I'm cooking - especially on the meat closest to the snake. I haven't done the diffuser set-up yet but I'm thinking about trying it once I get a stacker/rotisserie set-up.

The questions here are have you guys noticed the same thing?
Are there any tricks to finding more of a middle ground between the snake method and the diffuser method?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Level of smoke - charcoal snake vs diffuser
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
I bury my wood chunks if I am doing low and slow.  I saw Harry Soo do this and I do believe it gives the best smoke flavor.  I use the slow and sear or wsm. 

I really think the trick is not overdoing it with wood.  With the exception of pork butts and brisket, I usually use one, maybe two chunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »
i have seen quite a bit of variation with chips and chunks and soaked or not with each and of course the length of the cook. did a boneless pork butt recently and used  four soaked cherry chunks - grate flavor and good bark after the three hour mark  - did the same once with dry post oak chunks (3) and did not get near the same “smokey” results- still came out good but a lot less  smoke hints in the flavor   - vents different- windy day - just saying there are lots of variables

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »
Absolutely! There are so many variables, but that's one of the reasons I'm ditching my pellet grill for my 26er. Pellet cookers may be consistent but they lack all of the different techniques you can do with a kettle.
Just trying to add a few tricks to the toolbox.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

Absolutely! There are so many variables, but that's one of the reasons I'm ditching my pellet grill for my 26er. Pellet cookers may be consistent but they lack all of the different techniques you can do with a kettle.
Just trying to add a few tricks to the toolbox.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
breh?!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »

I bury my wood chunks if I am doing low and slow.  I saw Harry Soo do this and I do believe it gives the best smoke flavor.  I use the slow and sear or wsm. 

I really think the trick is not overdoing it with wood.  With the exception of pork butts and brisket, I usually use one, maybe two chunks.

Agree

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 06:26:47 PM »

Agree

Agree with these guys.  Bury the chunks.  The amount of wood determines the degree of smoke flavor.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;