Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Money muscle pork steaks  (Read 637 times)

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Money muscle pork steaks
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:47:50 PM »
Found these beauties yesterday for $8. 3/4 inch sliced pork steaks from the money muscle portion from the butt. Seasoned them with killer hogs Ap and hot and threw on the kettle with some asparagus. These things were money.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Raindog

• WKC Brave
Re: Money muscle pork steaks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »
I've never seen that cut before. Did you low and slow? 

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:09:40 PM »
8 bucks ?? Why not !

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »

I've never seen that cut before. Did you low and slow?
I grilled them a few minutes on each side then moved over away from the coals. Pulled at 195. Tender , juicy , and delicious.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 04:04:28 AM »
@sonofabutcher

Money muscle pork steaks look delicious. That’s a great looking dinner.

I deboned and ground two Boston butts three weeks ago to make southern hot smoked sausage and andouille sausage.  Money muscles were saved, vacuum sealed and frozen. I’ll be grilling money muscle pork steaks next weekend.

Cheers

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 04:08:43 AM »

8 bucks ?? Why not !

exactly what I thought. Turns out I would’ve been happy if I paid double for them.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:12:12 AM »

@sonofabutcher

Money muscle pork steaks look delicious. That’s a great looking dinner.

I deboned and ground two Boston butts three weeks ago to make southern hot smoked sausage and andouille sausage.  Money muscles were saved, vacuum sealed and frozen. I’ll be grilling money muscle pork steaks next weekend.

Cheers
thanks buddy, these things were fantastic. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 05:14:23 AM »
@sonofabutcher

I showed my wife your MM post.
We will be having MM for dinner today. Meat is defrosting as I type.

About how long did you cook the MM indirect? I’m thinking about 90-100 minutes with pit temp 250-275.

Thanks

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Money muscle pork steaks
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 06:01:34 AM »
@sonofabutcher

About how long did you cook the MM indirect? I’m thinking about 90-100 minutes with pit temp 250-275.

Thanks
these were 3/4 inch thick so I treated it just like a steak but took them to a finish temp of 195-200 ish. Seared them off on grill grates then slide to the indirect side. If you cut your own you can make them thicker and smoke them like a butt ?
They were tender and juicy after slicing . I tried to go buy more this morning but the store is closed because of frozen pipes lol.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:03:20 AM by sonofabutcher »

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 06:17:27 AM »
@sonofabutcher

Thanks
these were 3/4 inch thick so I treated it just like a steak but took them to a finish temp of 195-200 ish. Seared them off on grill grates then slide to the indirect side. If you cut your own you can make them thicker and smoke them like a butt ?
They were tender and juicy after slicing . I tried to go buy more this morning but the store is closed because of frozen pipes lol.

I hand cut them, meat is about 2-1/2”-3” diameter and combined weight for both is 3-1/2 pounds. It’s definitely not a steak and I’ll cook it like a butt. Smaller tubular muscles run parallel to each other.

They must have been good if your trying to buy more..lol

Thanks for the info.

Tempe480

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 06:33:29 AM »
Looks fire I love pork steaks

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
 I have never seen them cut like that before; sort of like a higher quality country style rib. I am going to keep an eye out for them.

Pork shoulder to me is one of the best meats for BBQ. It's so versatile, delicious and easy to master.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
Looks awesome!  I like to buy pork butt and cut them into inch and half thick steaks.  The steak with the $ muscle is always best. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Money muscle pork steaks
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
@sonofabutcher

I smoked two pork butt money muscles. Pit temp 275-300f to IT 190-195 and let it rest for 30 before slicing. Cook time was three hours.

I will have to say this is the best pork my wife and I have ever eaten. This was not a pork steak.

I process about 30 Boston butts a year into summer sausage with venison and about seven other flavors of sausage. Moving forward I’ll be saving the MM if it looks good.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:34 PM »

@sonofabutcher

I smoked two pork butt money muscles. Pit temp 275-300f to IT 190-195 and let it rest for 30 before slicing. Cook time was three hours.

I will have to say this is the best pork my wife and I have ever eaten. This was not a pork steak.

I process about 30 Boston butts a year into summer sausage with venison and about seven other flavors of sausage. Moving forward I’ll be saving the MM if it looks good.
man that looks great and tender.