Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber baskets maintaining temp  (Read 256 times)

flynnpsu

• Happy Cooker
Weber baskets maintaining temp
« on: February 21, 2021, 05:57:22 PM »
I am very new to this so this may be dumb. I got some Weber baskets and was smoking some wings this afternoon. It was going fine but the temp floored when the wings were at like 150. I had to throw them in the oven.

I have had success with chicken and indirect grilling without the baskets (just putting all coals to one side). I had a full chimney of coals. It was also like 20 degrees when I was cooking so that might be it? Has anyone else had this problem with the basket?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber baskets maintaining temp
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 06:31:58 PM »
We need more information.
What charcoal were you using?
Where were the baskets, middle of the grill?
How long was the charcoal preheating the grill before food was placed on the grate?
How often was lid lifted?

Normally I cook wings with a homemade vortex that holds about the same amount of charcoal as the baskets. I have used the baskets as well. Either way the coals go in tbe middle of the grill, the grate goes on and a block of hickory goes on top centered over the coals. A full chimney of lump can cook wings in as little as 40 minutes and a full chimney of Weber charcoal will take me about 50. I put them on let them cook about 25 minutes and then flip 1 time. With lump I pull them off 15 minutes later regular briquettes 20 to 25 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Thundermtn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
You either ran low of fuel (charcoal) or oxygen. The baskets for me tend to produce a longer burn with more steady temp than just a pile of coals opposite the food. Your coals will loose power as you cook too, some of them much quicker than others.

A basket of most any large chunk lump charcoal should go two +/- hours around that outside temperature. I've had a basket of Royal Oak Classic briquettes last 40 minutes at that cold. Eventually you'll know what power any charcoal will give you for the outside temp, and you can plan accordingly for how fast you refill your baskets.

When your temp nose dives pop the lid and look at your basket. It should have glowing red coals to the top. If they're not glowing you need to open your top and bottom vents more. If they are still glowing but loosing temp tap them with a rake or tongs and if they mostly collapse to the floor of the basket put a few new pieces of charcoal in and they'll boost the temp even if you're not topping the basket off 100%.

Personally I'd get another chimney ready for the last 15° there and high temp indirect sear them for crispy skin. Crack the lid a little for more oxygen with a fresh basket will get the inside temp WAY up and finish them off well. Just keep a close eye on them or you'll go from almost done to incinerated pretty quick. Then close the vents and stop the oxygen and save the rest of those new coals for a later cook.

Dadgrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 04:15:41 AM »
I too am new to grilling, that response is very informative. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Thundermtn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:40 AM »
Glad to help, good luck with your cooks!

flynnpsu

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »
It was regular kingsford I got at the acme and I had the wings in the middle with the baskets to the side. It was heated for like 15 min before I got them on.

I appreciate your advice. I may push them to the middle next time or just get a vortex. I am going to give it another shot soon because I feel like I was 5 min away form a good wing. Thanks!
We need more information.
What charcoal were you using?
Where were the baskets, middle of the grill?
How long was the charcoal preheating the grill before food was placed on the grate?
How often was lid lifted?

Normally I cook wings with a homemade vortex that holds about the same amount of charcoal as the baskets. I have used the baskets as well. Either way the coals go in tbe middle of the grill, the grate goes on and a block of hickory goes on top centered over the coals. A full chimney of lump can cook wings in as little as 40 minutes and a full chimney of Weber charcoal will take me about 50. I put them on let them cook about 25 minutes and then flip 1 time. With lump I pull them off 15 minutes later regular briquettes 20 to 25 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Weber Kettle Club mobile app