Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Switching to Butane from Propane for Gas Assist for Summit  (Read 1684 times)

Moseph

• Happy Cooker
Switching to Butane from Propane for Gas Assist for Summit
« on: December 17, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
Hey All,

I was reading some old posts where people mentioned switching from Propane to Butane for the gas assist feature on performers and summits. Where I live, little Coleman bottles are extremely hard to find, so I'm interested in converting to the cheap little butane bottles. Unfortunately all the old posts linked to ebay offers that have long since disappeared.

Anyone have a working link for the adapter I'd need to accomplish this conversion?

(on a side-note, I noticed in the setup instructions for the grill, that Weber says the grill can use Butane or LP, that was new to me!)

Best,
Mo

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Switching to Butane from Propane for Gas Assist for Summit
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »
You can refill the 1# disposable bottle from a 20# tank with an adapter that costs less than $10
Thats what I do.
You won't get a full pound into them but it works fine. You aren't loosing any fuel. Just less lights per refill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Moseph

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
Thanks, I'm keeping that as a backup plan. If possible, I'd rather just use butane.

(also, I live in South America, so most "just do x" ideas don't work nearly as easily down here as they do elsewhere)

SmallBBQr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Is there any reason I cannot connect my 20lb propane tank to the starter (I just have them sitting around doing nothing until RV season starts again) with an adapter hose?  I already have the hose for a portable gas BBQ....

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
Is there any reason I cannot connect my 20lb propane tank to the starter (I just have them sitting around doing nothing until RV season starts again) with an adapter hose?  I already have the hose for a portable gas BBQ....
No reason at all.
Hook it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

SmallBBQr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
Sorry for the hijack by me earlier, but maybe I can help out on your original question.

After numerous Google searches, it appears that butane and propane are pretty interchangeable.  Butane does not work well as you get closer to the freezing point of water though and it would be a liquid here in winter (at temperatures around freezing (water)).

So, the only one that can make the final decision is you (I am no expert and I take no responsibility for your potential loss of eyebrows etc.  ;->) but I would guess it would work fine.

Moseph

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
No worries SmallBBQr, thanks for the input.

Freezing shouldn't be a problem, it only gets down to freezing 3 or 4 times a year here. Right now my available options are:

1) Buy a nozzle adapter and use Butane ($4/ea)
2) Buy an adapter and use a 20lbs. propane tank ($50/ea)
3) Use 1lbs. MAP/P gas canisters ($20/ea)

My Summit doesn't have the built in table, and I'd like to keep it easy to roll around, so I'd like to avoid option #2

For the trouble of importing the parts to refill a 1lbs propane tank from a larger tank, I might as well just import the Butane adapter and save myself the hassle of doing refills.

From what I've read so far, it seems like I'll need 2 adapters, one to go from Butane nozzle -> Lindel, and a second to go from Lindel -> Coleman style Propane. But I'm curious if anyone's found a single adapter that'd do the trick.