Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello! 1st time kettle owner!  (Read 1586 times)

justanightowl

• Happy Cooker
Hello! 1st time kettle owner!
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
Hello everyone! Just assembled my first ever kettle (black MasterTouch). Have had a gas grill in the past but gave it away when we moved and decided we didn't want to mess with propane tanks this time. I am a complete beginner when it comes to charcoal! I did buy a chimney though!

Assembly went mostly well, except for those leg insert pieces (the nipples that are supposed to poke through!). I have exactly zero of the 3 that poked through the holes. Leg pieces are inserted...I can see the holes where those nibs are supposed to come through, but they don't. I gave up and continued assembly and everything else is fine. Is that anything to really worry about?

I do need to pick up some charcoal...ok to start with kingsford briquettes? Other "must have" items?

Thanks!

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
Re: Hello! 1st time kettle owner!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:48 PM »
Welcome to WKC, those tabs don’t make a huge difference, let’s should still be tight. I use kingsford and hasn’t let me down yet. Must haves charcoal chimney for sure and a good thermometer to start off

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

justanightowl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »
Thanks! I have an instant read probe thermometer that will have to do to start with. So other than some charcoal, I should be set. Though I may need to pick up some decent heat resistant gloves...

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:10:39 AM »
Kingsford is great and I would recommend sticking with it for a long while until you master how it cooks. Once you have learned your kettle then feel free to mess around but if you constantly change the fuel it’s just going to take you longer to learn.

If your cooking hot and fast stuff, wings steaks etc the instant read will be fine. If you plan on doing ribs or bbq pork shoulder low and slow you will want to add a leave in thermometer and a digital thermometer for the grill temperature too.

Mostly cook often, pay attention to what you did, how it came out, and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 03:07:27 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. We were all beginners at one time or another, plenty of help here
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:58 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  You're in the right place here, lots of friendly folks that can help out.  Enjoy the ride......

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:33 AM »
You can do better than Kingsford.  It smokes a TON at startup and produces lots of ash.  I'm very pleased with Royal Oak Natural Briquettes from Walmart.  Congrats on the Master Touch!
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

justanightowl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 06:24:14 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:37:30 AM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.