Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe - vents big enough?  (Read 1185 times)

jimyoung999

• Happy Cooker
Jumbo Joe - vents big enough?
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
Hey y'all, I'm newish to charcoal bbqing.. Last summer I bought a Jumbo Joe as my first, and I absolutely love it. I'm playing with different charcoals, etc., but one problem I have is that it seems that the vents - even on wide open - don't let the grill get very hot if it's closed. Of course, I could always open it and let it get super hot, but I expected to be able to control the temp better with keeping it closed and playing with the vents...

I checked to be sure that the vents weren't clogged, always clean the ash, etc etc..

I have been thinking of buying a pizza-oven addon for it, but am worried that it simply may not be hot enough. thoughts? ideas?

Thanks!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Jumbo Joe - vents big enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:27:31 PM »
My suggestion is to buy and actual 22.5 inch MT. Or gold or silver 22”. I thought about buying a jumbo joe, but read bad reviews on them so I didn’t. If I remember correct it said was a bad design. Hard to keep temp on and poor air circulation. You can find a decent 22” on offer up probably. So an update...are we talking about the small little kettle or the big saucer looking thing, cause online I’m seeing them both called jumbo joe. The big one is what I was talking about. If it’s the little one...that’s what and where I got my start into real charcoal grilling....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:31:34 PM by bbqking01 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Jumbo Joe - vents big enough?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:01:10 AM »
Agree with King01, the short Jumbo Joe shouldn't have any problems with holding temps.  I've seen many youtube vids of people cooking low and slow and hot and fast.  Personally, I've only done burgers and steaks on mine since I have a few other options for more involved cooking.  If it's the tall one that looks like the flying saucer with legs I have no experience with it.  Not sure why Weber even made that one.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »
Agree with King01, the short Jumbo Joe shouldn't have any problems with holding temps.  I've seen many youtube vids of people cooking low and slow and hot and fast.  Personally, I've only done burgers and steaks on mine since I have a few other options for more involved cooking.  If it's the tall one that looks like the flying saucer with legs I have no experience with it.  Not sure why Weber even made that one.

It was made to be sold through WalMart. So they could sell a "cheaper" Weber. Ya get what you pay for...

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
And the sad thing is that’s all you can find any more from Weber, at wallyworld

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Jumbo Joe 22 gets a harsh rap, agreed it can do all a normal 22 can do but its a solid grill for rotisserie cooking and if you are just a old school back yard cooker ( burgers dogs and steak) at high heat ots perfect for that. I had one for a while holding my roti

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app