Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Photo of my homemade coal basket  (Read 2171 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Photo of my homemade coal basket
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
Not sold along with my offset wood fired smoker last week was this, my homemade charcoal and wood slab basket. Made from a stainless steel surgical bowl, I drilled hundreds of holes in it in my shop. With great air circulation, it kept coals, be they wood or charcoal, confined and easy to arrange in the firebox of my offset. Today I fired my Weber Kettle up for a first burn and had decided to earlier in the day to try the basket in the Weber for size. I can see a potential number of uses at this newbie point. Thinking things like searing over the center then moving chicken breasts, wings and chops to the outer area away from the basket for a slower cook. Looking forward to trying out the approach.
 The surgical bowl was a salvaged (sterilized too) throwaway so I have only my time in the basket. Wondering if there will be too much radiant heat directed toward radially arranged foods after a searing over the center. At any rate, it will make cleanup a little easier after small cooks maybe.
 Oh. My first  Weber burn went well. I really have great expectations for this copper colored beauty. The adhesivegasket strip came in today's mail and I cleaned the underside of the new lid with alcohol before applying the gasket tape. No smoke leakage seen. There is a slight issue right now though as the 1/8 inch thick gasket reduces the area of the lids metal lip that keeps the lid aligned to the lower half of the kettle. As heat and weight compress the gasket thinner and more precisely contoured to the rim the issue will, I expect disappear.
 Thanks everyone for thoughts and suggestions.
Don

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Photo of my homemade coal basket
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:13:12 AM »
looking good, that's some nice looking wrought iron furniture you have there
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Photo of my homemade coal basket
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 06:23:34 AM »
Nice mod! Swiss cheese bowl!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again