Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not much to go on results in a 1968 Mediterranean  (Read 919 times)

Cellar2ful

Not much to go on results in a 1968 Mediterranean
« on: September 22, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
Estate Sale Companies tend to post their upcoming Estate Sale adds on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  This past Thursday I was browsing an Estate Sale add on Craig's List and found this photo buried deep in the thumbnail photos. What catches my eye is the wheel showing in the photo.  I could tell that the wheel was an older style with painted white walls.  The wheel also appeared to have rubber treads due to the tread pattern.  The problem was that the Estate Sale location was 40 miles from me (80 miles round trip) and started Friday at noon.  Although 40 miles may not sound far, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and weekday traffic can be quite challenging, adding considerable driving time. That plus I had a bridge toll to consider getting to the location.  I went back and forth several times about going vs not going.  Going to bed Thursday night, I was still undecided.

Friday morning I decide to make the drive because if I don't go, the "what if" question would be stuck in my mind all weekend. It was a beautiful day for a drive.  I arrive a the sale location about 11:30 AM, 30 minutes prior to opening.  About 11:45, I walk up to the residence and am met in the driveway by a woman running the sale.  She tells me even though they aren't ready to open yet, I am welcome to go into the backyard and look around.  Walking through a side gate, I see the kettle and this is what I see walking up to it.

I can see from it's small size that it's a 18" and that it has steel wheels.  I have to admit the endorphins at this point were kicking in.

I lift the cover and see something I have only see once before securing a kettle in the wild.  Thumbscrews. Now I'm really starting to feel the rush.

I pay for the kettle, load it up and head home.  On the drive home the scenery seems more enjoyable but that may just have been the "kettle high" I was on. San Rafael bridge which I would be driving back home on.

This is the city of San Francisco from the San Rafael Bridge.

The Bay Bridge and San Francisco from Interstate 80 in Berkeley.

And here it is, "The Mediterranean" (I believe it is a 1968, first year for the avocado color)

No Pat # or Pat Pending stamped on the lid vent.

Sure glad I made the trip.  Oh and the sticker price.   $24

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:04:24 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
Re: Not much to go on results in a 1968 Mediterranean
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
Nice one! Great hunting story and well worth the trip. Beats my adventure today heading up to the High desert off historic Route 66 in old town Victorville and picking up a 22” Black 1980 B. Was still a great pick for $40 and the thing was never use accept a few times over the last 39 years. About as close too NIB as you get for a grill sitting out for that long. The bowl inside and out not a spot of rust accept for two tiny nailhead size chips. As most though I’m into the rare colors and would love an avocado like this one you found, with risk comes great reward and I’m sure you will never forget this fond memory. Congratulations!
Tri-Tip & Beef Dip, Some of the Glen Blue & some of the Yella

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:21:39 AM »
What a beautiful day for a drive, oh and the kettle is pretty nice too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »
Beautiful grill, beautiful weather, beautiful trip, beautiful story!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »
Nice find!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
Awesome score Jim- congrats!

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »
Glad you made the trip, Awesome score

ISO Red Outrider.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
That is quite a hike thru Bay Area traffic, but looks like it was worth it.

I’m liking the bug eyes for some reason.

That would be a nice beach cooker.
Dude, relax your chicken.