Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: TTT theory, salmon, vent, temps  (Read 608 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
TTT theory, salmon, vent, temps
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »
Ok so a lot to cover tonight. I’ll try to keep it short. Kind of experimenting based on some recent topics. Kettle used was the 26

730. I dumped leftover coals from other grills and had way more coal going than I needed for my salmon. I wanted to burn off yesterday’s cook so I had the lid cracked and pegged the lid thermo. At 730 I closed the bottom vent completely and closed the top down to a quarter or so.

740. Lid temp read just under 400. I put the salmon on.

750. Lid temp fell below 300. I opened the top fully.

755. Temp continues to fall. I opened both events fully.

810. Lid temp back up to 350-375. Salmon reached 140ish and was done.

815. Ate salmon and it was delicious. I tried Malcom reed recipe of a molasses / soy marinade and a pastrami seasoning.

900. Earlier I left bottom vent closed and top open to see where temp would settle. Keep in mind I had a massive amount of coal in the grill so there would be the potential for heat rising. After 45 minutes the lid temp settled just under 200 and stayed put.

Tip top temp theory. I owned one and gave it away. Their instructions say to close bottom vent and place it over top vent. Well of course it handles low and slow because the bottom vent is closed and it’s impossible for temperature to rise regardless of if you have a gadget mounted to the vent lol. I had always theorized this but hadn’t tested. I assume they ran their tests on a 22 which would run a little higher putting it at the sweet spot most likely.

This begs the question, does anyone here cook entirely with the bottom closed and top open for low and slow?  Admittedly I have not tried cooking anything in this fashion but temperature wise I would guess it would work on a 22 or 18.

937. Opened vents fully and roasting garden peppers and tomatoes for salsa this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:30:04 AM by HoosierKettle »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: TTT theory, salmon, vent, temps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »
Looks delicious! Love posts like these. Thanks for sharing your theory. I was just gifted a TTT and read posts about it here. I too am curious about what cooking is like with the bottom vents completely closed.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:02 PM »
I like salmon, anytime! Growing up in Washington state, had it often. Try covering in mayonnaise really thick with green onion chopped on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
@HoosierKettle i tried once or twice many moons ago bottom vent closed on my 26 for low and slow but for lack of experience didn't feel like it was working, probably lack of patience was more the key, i think the low temps are achievable with bottom closed considering the less than perfect seal on the one touch
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »

@HoosierKettle i tried once or twice many moons ago bottom vent closed on my 26 for low and slow but for lack of experience didn't feel like it was working, probably lack of patience was more the key, i think the low temps are achievable with bottom closed considering the less than perfect seal on the one touch

I would say you were correct. Mine settled in too low and at that temp I wouldn’t trust it to stay lit in the long run. Maybe a 22 would be different??

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 04:25:24 AM »
Very interesting post HK.

Only time I cook with bottom vents completely closed is when I have the lid off. Cooking with CI pans. Hardly low and slow.

When cooking low and slow I have the vents barely cracked and manage the fire by how much fuel I add. I guess it's the stick burner in me.