Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26 vortex wings  (Read 797 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
26 vortex wings
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
I departed from my normal direct methods tonight.

I dumped a full chimney in the vortex and most of the cook was with the lid barely cracked alternating between front and back.

Flipped once at a half hour. Basted at 40 minutes with the sauce, flipped and basted again with sauce at 50 minutes and pulled at one hour.

I’m really excited about how these turned out. Perfect texture, crispiness, and flavor.

I seasoned with olive oil and Tony’s and sauce was franks, Worcestershire, and homey.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 26 vortex wings
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »
Nice wings homey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »

Nice wings homey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I didn’t notice until a reread my post. I’ll leave it now.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:29:20 AM »
looks good, i find it enjoyable switching up ways to cook, it tests your abilities and it's fun, and you still get to eat
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:31 AM »
Good looking wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
26 vortex wings
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:02:31 AM »
looks good, i find it enjoyable switching up ways to cook, it tests your abilities and it's fun, and you still get to eat

Absolutely.

I’ve switched back and forth from tossing the wings in sauce when they are done vs basting them where they sit. Basting them on the grill helps retain the crispiness versus emerging in sauce. I’ve tried tossing them and putting them back on the grill but that’s not the same even though it should be.

Only draw back is it does make a mess in the grill. Once I shut down, I operate the one touch to make sure the sweeps do not seize to the kettle from sugars in the sauce that drip down. I suppose I could use foil but It’s really not needed as long as you move the sweeps when finished.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:19:30 AM by HoosierKettle »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:20 PM »
Excellent wing work...

You guys are killing me. I feel so inadequate with my 22 inch grills...

Not really. but I would love to have a 26...

griz400

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »
I departed from my normal direct methods tonight.

I dumped a full chimney in the vortex and most of the cook was with the lid barely cracked alternating between front and back.

Flipped once at a half hour. Basted at 40 minutes with the sauce, flipped and basted again with sauce at 50 minutes and pulled at one hour.

I’m really excited about how these turned out. Perfect texture, crispiness, and flavor.

I seasoned with olive oil and Tony’s and sauce was franks, Worcestershire, and homey.

Very nice bunch of wings there .....

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »

Absolutely.

I’ve switched back and forth from tossing the wings in sauce when they are done vs basting them where they sit. Basting them on the grill helps retain the crispiness versus emerging in sauce. I’ve tried tossing them and putting them back on the grill but that’s not the same even though it should be.

Only draw back is it does make a mess in the grill. Once I shut down, I operate the one touch to make sure the sweeps do not seize to the kettle from sugars in the sauce that drip down. I suppose I could use foil but It’s really not needed as long as you move the sweeps when finished.

I tend to prefer the basting over tossing in sauce as well.  Those look like they came out gr8 though.  ;-)