Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This morning, I met the guy who owns George Stephens old house  (Read 1359 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
He mentioned George had a vent put in the basement, so he could more easily grill inside during bad weather.
regards,
Hal

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: This morning, I met the guy who owns George Stephens old house
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
That reminds me - I have a story to write up about the guy who lived next door in the early 50s and is mentioned in Weber lore as having contributed to the original kettle. Very interesting. I'll get to it eventually. Another guy I interviewed a while introduced stamped metal to George during the early days, replacing spun metal as the foundation for bowls and lids. I have it recorded, just need to transcribe.

Just so many hours in the day...

Marty

Oh, and if the vent is still there - get a pic!
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »

He mentioned George had a vent put in the basement, so he could more easily grill inside during bad weather.

I have given serious consideration to installing a kettle and vent in the basement. I thought I was the only one thinking of that. George has me beat by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
I only met him.  I actually jokingly asked him how much for a tour just to see it, but I was hoping he'd say "if you want to see it".  I'll try running into him tomorrow & ask him to send me a picture. 

That reminds me - I have a story to write up about the guy who lived next door in the early 50s and is mentioned in Weber lore as having contributed to the original kettle. Very interesting. I'll get to it eventually. Another guy I interviewed a while introduced stamped metal to George during the early days, replacing spun metal as the foundation for bowls and lids. I have it recorded, just need to transcribe.

Just so many hours in the day...

Marty

Oh, and if the vent is still there - get a pic!
regards,
Hal

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »

I have given serious consideration to installing a kettle and vent in the basement. I thought I was the only one thinking of that. George has me beat by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I don’t have a basement but I do have a garage we do that in the winter for football games.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:16:02 AM »
No basement grilling for me! Fire codes I'm sure won't allow it, and neither would Mrs. Hawg...  ;) Besides, I like my area setup outside next to my shed, with a canopy and electricity. Works for me, and all the mess is contained outside. No lugging ashes and trash up the stairs. And I don't know what kinda ventilation you would need to keep the basement from smelling like smoke. Just thinkin' out loud here... Don't seem practical to me.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:21:47 AM »
I’ve been to a garage sale where there was a huge vent hood in the garage above the grill.  That guy was a serious griller.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 03:36:54 AM »
If you had a detached garage or a really established stick built covered space I think it would be an awesome upgrade to add a vent hood and fan.  Smoke control is pretty nice when you don't have wind to help you out.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 05:05:26 AM »
Lol "run into him" aka stalk lol jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hdfry

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 05:26:11 AM »
To BBQMiller

Your one photograph seems to show your ash catcher with a drain in the center. Is that correct?  I'd like to know more as mine came with a solid ash catcher only. Regards, HD

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »
I presume this is the home you are talking about?

Show him this pic (George's "foul ball" BBQ) that inspired the original "home run" kettle and tell him to build a replica in the back yard:

That alone could add $100K to the resale price.
Retired

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
To BBQMiller

Your one photograph seems to show your ash catcher with a drain in the center. Is that correct?  I'd like to know more as mine came with a solid ash catcher only. Regards, HD

😕

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
I don't know.  I met him at the estate sale of his parents.  He said his house was George Stephens house in Mount Prospect (I think, otherwise Morton Grove).  Was right nearby today, to pick up something at a garage sale nearby that I couldn't fit in the vehicle yesterday with other stuff I bought, but I forgot to go back.  DOH!  I might see if they are still around tomorrow, maybe I can pay him to let me look in the attic to see if there is anything.  :o

I presume this is the home you are talking about?

Show him this pic (George's "foul ball" BBQ) that inspired the original "home run" kettle and tell him to build a replica in the back yard:

That alone could add $100K to the resale price.
regards,
Hal

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 09:27:10 PM »
In the late 90's I believe, there was a house off of Arlington heights rd in Elk Grove Village that used kettles as planters. That sound familiar to any Chicago guys?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »
Hey, isn't that where @Troy used to live before he loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly?
Retired