Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: how many of you are using a sous vide before any of your grilling?  (Read 1361 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
on another forum I frequent someone started a post about how we grill our steaks and the first comment involved using a sous vide. at that point, everyone started telling that poster to hand in his man card. so it's a bit of a divisive topic...FIGHT!   ;D
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Not me...
At the risk of pissing folks off...
I think we all need to focus on our cooking skills with the grills that we have and NOT turn to appliances that do the work for us...Just my opinion...
If I serve a perfect steak (or an imperfect steak) to my family and friends, I know (and so do they) that it's because I cooked it my self with the skills that I have...

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Y'all can cook anything anyway you want and that's fine with me...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I borrowed one and cooked steaks. They were good but I didn’t think they were any better than my normally grilled steaks.  I don’t get the hype. I was expecting something vastly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger

Not me...
At the risk of pissing folks off...
I think we all need to focus on our cooking skills with the grills that we have and NOT turn to appliances that do the work for us...Just my opinion...
If I serve a perfect steak (or an imperfect steak) to my family and friends, I know (and so do they) that it's because I cooked it my self with the skills that I have...

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Y'all can cook anything anyway you want and that's fine with me...

That’s the passion of the hobbie. Not just grilling .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
I have an immersion circulator and love it. My passion is all types of cooking-not just BBQ. Plus, Milwaukee in January sucks for grilling or even just looking outside. I will always do grilled pork–chops, tenderloin, pork steak–this way. I've tried steaks but prefer them grilled (or pan-fried in cast iron) start-to-finish. I've done a lot of fish with results ranging from average to very good. I did salmon fillets and used a propane torch to crisp the skin (the only reason I eat salmon). Set off the smoke detector about a dozen times on that cook.

It really shines on cuts of meat that are susceptible to drying out. My wife and I sometimes get a food box for a few meals a week. Keeps us from going out to eat too much and they are easy enough that she can make them herself (she works part time, I work 80+ hours some weeks). We got a small sirloin roast as part of a meal kit. I hate sirloin–usually dry, tasteless, reminds me of bad wedding food. Used the immersion circulator with the seasonings included in the meal kit–probably just S&P. Can't remember the time but it likely 12-16 hours at 129° or so. Finished in a cast iron skillet again setting off the smoke detectors. Extremely tender. Too lean for great beefy taste but still pretty good.

My most daring sous vide exploit was a ~7-8 lb. Boston butt. I had a window of a few hours in December where the weather didn't suck but I wasn't about to do an eight hour or more cook. I started the butt like I always do; 225° on the WSM18, peach and pecan. After a few hours, I pulled the butt and immediately sealed it, adding nothing to the bag. I sous vide the butt for 24 hours at 190°. I planned to rest it and pull it at this point but the bark had disappeared so I put it under the gas broiler for a few minutes on each side. Rested and pulled adding the juices from the bag to the pulled pork along with apple cider vinegar (my typical pulled pork dressing). Absolutely amazing. I have one 12oz. bag left in the freezer. I'm going to see how it stacks up to the more traditional smoked butt method later this summer.

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
I like my sous vide.  My recent favorite is pork chops, in a bag, glass of white wine, rosemary, garlic.  Salt and pepper then sear on my smokey joe.  The results are awesome for easy indoor cooking when its 110 degrees out like today. 

Also trying to eat healthier and chicken breast is difficult to grill.  Sous Vide and its all moist and delicious. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
I do not own one but can see it's advantages for different things. I do wonder though, do you stand around the sous vide on the back deck and enjoy your favorite cocktail while it's running?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Sous Vide work great for a weekday cook when I’m rushed.  Put meat in the Sous Vide that morning or even day before so it’s done when I get off work, take it out and sear it on the gasser and within 10-15 minutes nice dinner is ready. Chuck Steaks work perfectly and come out really tender. Also with a Sous Vide you can start a cook with raw frozen meat in the morning and have it done for the gasser sear by dinner time.  Also works great to reheat frozen leftovers. Will not replace BBQing but just another tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
I use SV quite a bit, depending on what I am cooking. I love taking a tough cut of beef, SV it, remove from the bag (reserving the juice for an awesome au jus) then sear it on the grill over screaming hot coals. Nothing against the nay-sayers out there, but open your eyes. This method has been around for years in the restaurant biz. I can guarantee you've all eaten SV'd food of some sort when dining out, but just didn't know it.

It has earned a spot in my tool belt.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
so then...what sous vide devices do you use?

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
Re: how many of you are using a sous vide before any of your grilling?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
so then...what sous vide devices do you use?

Anova. There's a lot more choices now though.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
I have a basic Anova unit - got it on sale when they upgraded to more bells and whistles I don't need. The one thing I do recommend is a dedicated Sous Vide container with a lid that fits the column of the machine. I bought a Rubbermaid 8 QT (EDIT - it's a 12 QT) and a insulated sleeve that fits over it. Good size for most things I do. The lid is key to slow evaporation. The hinge makes for easy access to the bagged food without dealing with the clamped on machine. The thing I like about SV is that not all the meat has to be the same thickness - you know it will all be the same temp when you go to sear. SV to caveman style directly on lump is the best of both worlds.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:58:41 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
that's an interesting kit 56.

which Rubbermaid 8qt did you buy and where did you get the lid? I don't see that on so vida's website.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 07:12:54 PM »
Got one, and like it a lot. Especially for tough cuts. Have used it many times in conjunction with the Weber. It's fun to experiment with it, and I've gotten a lot of good results.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie