Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time grilling a turkey on kettle (Christmas Day)  (Read 558 times)

rampage71

• Happy Cooker
First time grilling a turkey on kettle (Christmas Day)
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:45:10 AM »
Hey! Brand new.  I have grilled for decades, but have never done a turkey, nor smoked anything. I would love to hear thoughts on how you have done it. I have watched Youtube, read a lot, and talk to buddies (all who have never done this, ha). I would love advice and tips! I have read about the snake method verses indirect....

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: First time grilling a turkey on kettle (Christmas Day)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:13:20 AM »
You're in the right place! While I haven't done this myself, several here have and I'm sure will let you know their secrets! Welcome aboard!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »
Welcome @rampage71

Turkeys are not that much different than big chickens, and I think you'll do fine the first time. I've done a bunch of Turkey's over the years - grilled, smoked, rotisseried - hard to screw up if you think it through. Of course, plenty of tips and videos on line to inspire too.

I always brine overnight, so you might want to read up on that first. Breast meat is easy to overcook and dry out, and that's the last thing you want. I often inject the breasts too if you have an injector (Not expensive, and worth it for many other types of meat too.)  This year I used melted butter alone, but there are all kinds of injectable concoctions out there. I like to keep it simple.

Start out with a smaller turkey - maybe 12 or 14 pounds max. (the one in the pic below was 16# - too big for a 22.5 kettle) Fits on a grill better, easier to wrangle, and takes less time. I'd rather do two smaller birds than one big one any day, and it give you an excuse to add another kettle to the family. (Make it a 26.75 and you'll be set!) Worth noting that if you are using a kettle the lid height will limit how big a turkey will fit unless you have a roti-ring to raise it up. (But don't you need a roti set up anyway?) You can also spatch-cock it to reduce height, but that involves other tricks to get it right.

Personally, I like smoked turkey, and I do it most on my 18.5 WSM, but I've done it on a 22 with a roti ring too. Hard to beat a smoked rotisserie turkey! I run it at around 250 to 275 and it takes 4 or 5 hours. I don't use a ton of smoke wood, and prefer cherry, peach or apple rather than hickory. I typically smoke for the first couple hours only - birds are easy to over-smoke.

I've never used a snake for turkey - always indirect using a bigger better basket on a kettle, or the WSM with water in the pan, not dry. The smoker is easier because I can set it up and forget it. No turning the turkey - just basting with butter along the way - once an hour or so. Don't forget to have a drip tray under the bird whatever the method, and throw the neck in the pan with some stock to add smoked flavor to the future gravy.

Check temps starting at around 3 hours, and adjust accordingly. I like to raise the temps (open the vents/add coals or lay it on your gasser - one more grill you need) for the last hour to get the skin crispier.

Start small, keep it simple, and have fun. You'll master it in no time, but beware, you'll be asked to do the turkey(s) from now on.

I did OK the first time without everything I just mentioned, so I think you'll do great. Let us know how it goes!

Marty

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:08:21 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:38:05 AM »
^^This^^ is why this group kicks ass.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again