Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Broiled salmon in the oven  (Read 568 times)

dogman

• WKC Brave
Broiled salmon in the oven
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:33:20 AM »
Well, I don't have a grill over here yet but I wanted to post something. I used to smoke and eat a lot of brisket. I mean a lot. But change of life and now I am mostly eating fish. I buy nice fillets of fresh salmon, they come in about the size of a rack of ribs. I cut them up into serving-size pieces and freeze them for a day in a freezer chest in cheap plastic bags then then I take them out and vacuum seal 2 or 3 pieces at a time and back into the freezer they go.

When I want to make some I take a package out of the freezer, put them in a foil pan and then pour some good soy sauce over them. I rest them flesh side down for a few hours or until dinner time. If I'm not too lazy I marinate them in bags with soy sauce and onions for a couple of days. They go into a 220 degree C preheated oven with bottom and top burners going, skin side up for about 20 minutes. I take 'em out, remove the skin and the thin brown meat next to the skin since it seems to stink. Usually at this point they're done but sometimes I flip them face up and broil for another 5 minutes.

I usually make up a mixture of 50/50 Jasmine and Basmati rice in a rice cooker and I like to make some rosemary potatos which are real easy and come out aromatic and really help the meal out. I quarter a bunch of potatoes and toss them in a deep ceramic-lined roasting pan with fresh rosemary off some small bushes I buy from the grocery store, some sliced garlic, and oil. They get baked covered at 180 degrees C with a glass cover for about 2 hours and then they're done. If I'm not too lazy I stir them around halfway through and maybe broil with the glass cover off for another 10 minutes but even straight in the pan under glass they get browned usually enough.

I cook some green beans, peas, or asparagus in a porcelain pot with water just enough to cover the beans, and a little salt and fresh ground pepper.

I make a few portions and wrap them in foil pans and they will keep for a few days. When I want to have a meal I heat one in the oven for a half hour at 150 C and then take off the tinfoil and finish them open for another 10 minutes. Tastes almost like they just came out of the oven so it saves me time (I live alone) if I do it this way.

I am trying to work out the logistics of barbecuing on the balcony with a landlord who isn't going to be happy with any stained tiles or smoke damage on the walls and neighbors who are generally real careful about not bothering each other. In the meantime here's what I had last night.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...