Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first Boston Butt! Needs tweaking.  (Read 466 times)

WVGriller

• Happy Cooker
My first Boston Butt! Needs tweaking.
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
Greetings all!
I'm new to charcoal grilling, got my kettle a week ago, decided to try smoking a boston butt today,.
Last night I brined it.
Using snake method with applewood chips.
Started 8am finished 6pm, tried to keep temp right at 230.
Temp was 225 - 240, rotated the butt 180 degrees at noon.
4pm pork hit 160, I put it in an aluminum tray added small amount acv and apple juice and covered with foil,  raised grill temp to 350 till butt hit 200 @ 6pm.
Rested 1 hour in a cooler.

Turned out great meat fell apart but honestly was a little too moist for my preference, pan was pretty full of juices when done, tasted great family loved it!

Next time when doing final heat I think I might vent it? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Brine was
4 cups applejuice
2 cups acv
1/4 Worcestershire sauce
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 salt

Rub was mustard for binder & sweet rub o mine
Tray in bottom of grill was apple juice with some acv for humidity.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:36:57 PM by WVGriller »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first Boston Butt! Needs tweaking.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
Curious that "too moist" would be a thing.....I'm usually fighting the "too dry" fight !!!

Did you rest it in the covered pan, in the juice?
If so, maybe try wrapping in a couple layers of foil, tightly, old clean towel around that & into the cooler....."the internal moisture will then even out all thru the piece....
Personally, I'll go 1-1/2 hrs. min. rest period.......perhaps pour a little of the juice in the package before resting & save all the rest of it to add in if it does seem a tad drier than you'd like to serve.
Some folks run the extra juice thru a gravy separator to de- fat it, but that doesn't seem to make that much difference to me.....

Your cook up looks just tip-top from over here.....and if the family was pretty well thrilled, you're obviously on the right track....just play with your food so more......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WVGriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
Curious that "too moist" would be a thing.....I'm usually fighting the "too dry" fight !!!

Did you rest it in the covered pan, in the juice?
If so, maybe try wrapping in a couple layers of foil, tightly, old clean towel around that & into the cooler....."the internal moisture will then even out all thru the piece....
Personally, I'll go 1-1/2 hrs. min. rest period.......perhaps pour a little of the juice in the package before resting & save all the rest of it to add in if it does seem a tad drier than you'd like to serve.
Some folks run the extra juice thru a gravy separator to de- fat it, but that doesn't seem to make that much difference to me.....

Your cook up looks just tip-top from over here.....and if the family was pretty well thrilled, you're obviously on the right track....just play with your food so more......
Thanks!
Yes I rested it in the covered alum pan I finished cooking it in,  the cooking pan was prob 3/4 full with the moisture that came out of the pork, I think next time I'll try removing it and resting the meat out of it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
That could be the too moist thing is having all that liquid right there braising it.....I'd personally never throw out any cooking juice though.....pour a little in there freezer bags if you freeze leftovers...it will help w/ the moisture level on thaw out....

You could also skip the brine & try how that comes out...that piece has enough moisture to easily do it without.....

Don't know how to copy over the links on this silly iPad, but if you search the story "Nothing New....just some pork & Beans" w/ 1buckie in the author, there will be another idea for the juice & the Pan!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"