Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fitting standard kettle into Performer frame?  (Read 1414 times)

GermanTex

• Smokey Joe
Fitting standard kettle into Performer frame?
« on: April 22, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
I have a Performer with a black kettle and always wanted a blue or red kettle but colorful Performers are rare in my neck of the woods.  This weekend I got a brand new never used shiny blue 22" bowl and lid. Just the bowl and the lid. However it is not the performer kettle. I was thinking of modifying it to fit into the Performer frame.
Using some mounting brackets from UnknownBBQ:
https://bbqsmokermods.com/table-mounting-brackets-for-weber-kettle-by-unknown-bbq.html
Then reusing the lid slider and ash catcher from the black Performer kettle. And the finally cutting of the handles from the blue kettle.
Would that be possible or just a sacrilege to the blue kettle?

Green 22" Perfomer, Red 22" One Touch Platinum, Blue 22" Kettle, Yellow Simpspons Smokey Joe, Pink Q1200, Blue Platinum C.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fitting standard kettle into Performer frame?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
I have a Performer with a black kettle and always wanted a blue or red kettle but colorful Performers are rare in my neck of the woods.  This weekend I got a brand new never used shiny blue 22" bowl and lid. Just the bowl and the lid. However it is not the performer kettle. I was thinking of modifying it to fit into the Performer frame.
Using some mounting brackets from UnknownBBQ:
https://bbqsmokermods.com/table-mounting-brackets-for-weber-kettle-by-unknown-bbq.html
Then reusing the lid slider and ash catcher from the black Performer kettle. And the finally cutting of the handles from the blue kettle.
Would that be possible or just a sacrilege to the blue kettle?
Looks like a good plan, it's your kettle, the hell with what anybody else thinks be like NIKE and "just do it" !! LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
It’s definitely possible if you have the right tools and a little patience.  You’ll have to be prepared for some porcelain damage, no matter how careful you are, when cutting & drilling.  Although it may be sacrilege to some of us in kettle rich areas, they’re your kettles.  IMO, since you recently got into kettles, is to wait a little bit.  Now that you’re hooked, you’ll notice more kettles, and likely expand your search range.  Might get lucky and find a blue Performer for a good price.  Piece together the best from both & sell the other.  Can likely find a donor black kettle and complete the blue to compliment the Performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
It's very possible, quite a few have done it. I had intentions of doing it. I acquired a new bowl and lid.... But when it came to cutting off the handle.... I just couldn't bring myself to do it. But I've seen a few pics of guys doing it.

I personally would sell what you have and find a performer bowl and lid. Or maybe offer to trade what you have for a colored performer bowl and lid.
Text @ 419-619-6379

GermanTex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
Maybe I will just wait for a performer showing up. It also hurts me to cut off the handles of that nice blue kettle.
It is the one on the bucket:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ioR56VxFX1YJ3KHL6
Maybe a a wooden side table, wooden handles and the legs and ash catcher of another cheap donor kettle would be a nicer alternative. I just love that color.
Green 22" Perfomer, Red 22" One Touch Platinum, Blue 22" Kettle, Yellow Simpspons Smokey Joe, Pink Q1200, Blue Platinum C.

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 06:29:44 PM »
I mounted this slate kettle into a ssp frame without cutting off the handle.  I had to mount it lower so the lid just barely seats without hitting the frame.   I just had to cut down the crossmember piece in the cart frame to clear the handle.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:30 AM »
I mounted this slate kettle into a ssp frame without cutting off the handle.  I had to mount it lower so the lid just barely seats without hitting the frame.   I just had to cut down the crossmember piece in the cart frame to clear the handle.

Awesome that was what I was hoping I could do with a red kettle. Grate work
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »
So heres mine. I did almost exactly what your trying to do except the mbh are smaller and easily out of the way on the sides also i drilled out the mounting brackets from a black preformer and re used those instead of buying mounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app