Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lets talk lump  (Read 1089 times)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Lets talk lump
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »
So. I was in sams last week and they
Had some no name lump on sale for
20$ for a 35lb bag. What the hell!!!
Well you know the old saying “you get what you pay for?” No rock or anything. But inconsistent burn. My Wsm that is usually pretty consistent was all over the place today.. I usually use Stubbs or Royal Oak and the temps stay pretty good. But this stuff was terrible. Anyone ever experience this???
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lets talk lump
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
What brand?

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
So. I was in sams last week and they
Had some no name lump on sale for
20$ for a 35lb bag. What the hell!!!
Well you know the old saying “you get what you pay for?” No rock or anything. But inconsistent burn. My Wsm that is usually pretty consistent was all over the place today.. I usually use Stubbs or Royal Oak and the temps stay pretty good. But this stuff was terrible. Anyone ever experience this???
I got some cowboy lump from walmart when it was on sale for 5 bucks. Needless to say im not a fan. Either huge chunks or wood chips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
I’ve been disappointed by more than a few brands of lump. I really do like lump over briquettes but the mix of pieces does make it frustrating sometimes. I’ve been using RO for sometime and just realize that the end of the bag is waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
Have to admit I’ve never tried lump, but this has me curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
I love RO lump for grilling, or for adding charcoal when smoking on the kettle.
When I fire up the WSM, I use briquettes.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »
Find Wicked Good lump at an ACE hardware or specialty BBQ shop....about 25 bucks for 22 # but you WILL get what you pay for......stuff doesn't even look like it's burning sometimes....lasts & lasts..real even heat.....it is Wicked Good!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:04 AM »
If the charcoal has a high moisture content it'll burn inconsistently with temps going up & down a little in a closed cooker, or it will have a slow startup followed by an intense burst of heat in an open grill.

To solve the problem take the charcoal inside the house for a couple days and leave top of the bag open so the moisture can evaporate. High moisture is common in the winter, especially when the store employees don't know how easily charcoal absorbs moisture.

Another problem could be having too much dust or small pieces keeping the air from flowing or the heat from transferring to the lumps nearby.  If your using a chimney to start the charcoal, before you light it, shake the chimney til no more charcoal falls out the bottom. That removes anything under ~1\2 inch.

After the charcoal is good and dry again you'll need to keep it away from anything that condensates or vaporizes water. Keep the bags off any concrete or dirt floors, by storing them on a pallet or wood runners so the air can move freely around them. When your not taking charcoal out of the bag the top of the bag has to stay closed or it'll drink water rapidly. I always roll the top down and set a chunk of wood on top to insure it don't unroll itself, then I cover it with a flat, empty, bag for extra protection.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 06:32:06 AM »
I didn’t care for sams lump.

I use ro lump. It’s cheap enough and I buy everything I can at menards.  The 11% rebate makes it even cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on handling charcoal Hell Fire!  It makes a lot of sense, but I have never thought about the implications of how I store my fuel.  Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »
Yeah! I bought Cowboy brand one time.  What a mistake.  Will always be Royal Oak lump for me. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:21 AM »
Royal Oak is cheap enough and it is an excellent option. Walmart started carrying 30# bags as well as Royal Oak XL lump.

I'm still working my way through the 30# Western bags I got a few months ago. It works fine. It's mesquite so it is a little pungent on startup, but honestly, it burns nearly as clean as briquettes when it gets going. I did two roti birds...one with briquettes and one with Western. They both smelled and tasted great.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:11:52 AM »
Royal Oak. Both lump and briquettes. Been using both for years with no complaints...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Check out this link.  Compares all lump charcoal.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
I like RO for low and slow. I use whatever briquettes for simple burger's hot dogs steaks or whatever I through on. I always get end of season close outs and throw them all mixed up in a barrel to get through winter cooks. I left over red oak cutoffs from the school when making pizza. At the end it all works out.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .