Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: help with roto turkey  (Read 10165 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
help with roto turkey
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »
My son just informed me that I will cook his turkey on my rotisserie...
Well I have never cooked a turkey this way...
I told him nothing over 12 - 14 pounds...That's what I would do in the smoker...

Any advise would be appreciated...

Cellar2ful

Re: help with roto turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »

Below is a photo of my 1980's Weber kettle owners manual.  It has the recommended amounts of briquettes per Weber to be used on each side when cooking indirect.  It has a break down for SJ, 18", 22" and 26".   The 22" is highlighted as it was the only size I owned back then.   

I have always just followed this guide and start with 50 briquettes (25 per side) when cooking indirect or using the rotisserie.  I then add 8 briquettes per hour to each side.  I run my lid and bowl vents wide open when using the rotisserie.  There is so much air gap when using a rotisserie, I don't believe adjusting the vents make much difference.  My lid therm usually runs at 350-375 degrees.

In this same owners manual, Weber says to figure 11 minutes per pound cooking a turkey.  A 16 lb bird should take around 175 minutes (roughly 3 hours).

The other trick I use is to set my charcoal baskets more to one side of the kettle and put the bird on with the legs facing the charcoal. This moves the breast meat further from the coals.  The dark meat (legs and thighs) require a higher temp (175-190 degrees) to be done and can tolerate being closer to the heat.  The turkey should be pulled when the breast meat reaches 157 degrees.  These are the recommended temps from the Thermapen website.  After removing the bird from kettle, let it rest at least 30 minutes before carving.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:57:33 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:37 AM »
I have followed Cellar2full's instructions and was very happy with the outcome.
Good luck with your cook!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:16 AM »
Cellar2full's instructions are spot on. Do dat, you can't go wrong.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:36:48 AM »
Thanks guys...I knew I came to the right place for spot-on info...
I'm still leaning towards a bird in the 14 pound range...

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »

The rotisserie is rated for loads up to 20 lbs and I once spun a 24 lb bird.  The left wing scraped the lid for the first few minutes so it must have been a southpaw. That being said, 14 lbs is a perfect size for spinning on a rotisserie.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »
Cellar2ful method works perfect!  You really do want to pull it at 157 too. That really is the sweet spot before rest.

I sometimes cheat and use my diy large basket in one side only and dump half lit on top of half unlit. I can sometimes get by without having to add BUT the overall results were not as good as when I just follow the cellar2ful method.

Good luck!  12-14 lb birds is all I have ever done so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
help with roto turkey
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
Also, I sometimes get the coals I add going a little bit prior to adding if it seems like my temps are declining.

And I add more. 10-12 each side. Especially in this cold weather

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »
Also, I sometimes get the coals I add going a little bit prior to adding if it seems like my temps are declining.

And I add more. 10-12 each side. Especially in this cold weather

Great point.  Living in California and rarely having temperatures below 50 degrees, I don't think about the affects really cold air temperatures have on cooking.  Altitude is another consideration.  I cooked on my friend's kettle in Reno, Nevada which is at an altitude of 4500 ft.  The charcoal lighting time as well as the cook time took much longer than what I am use to at my home which is at 160 ft above sea level.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:58:22 PM by Cellar2ful »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »
I have gone up to 20 lbs. without a problem.  Truss the legs well.  You don't want them flopping around and hitting your baskets.  Also make sure the prongs secure the turkey well, minimizing movement and shifting.  If you use counterbalance weight, put it opposite side of the breast.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
It’s definitely below 50 degrees here at the cook shack.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Thanks guys.
I'm quite sure it's gonna be cold when we cook the bird but that's OK...Wind and cold is how I learned to cook...

I have plenty of experience with the spinner but have never done a whole turkey...Should be no problem...I think...

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 07:37:22 AM »
@SMOKE FREAK

Here’s the rotisserie turkey thread.

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 09:05:32 PM »
C2F, great great post. Thanks for sharing!