Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One knife to rule them all  (Read 1311 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
One knife to rule them all
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Looking for a versatile knife. What STYLE of knife or pair of knives would you pick? Bbq pit boys make the ol hickory seem to be the best all around knife but before i spend the 10 bucks 🤣 i wanna know everyones thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: One knife to rule them all
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
I don't have a particular favorite style, but I love my Cutco set. Spendy, but American made, and they will outlive you.

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »
Cooks knife or chefs knife I like wusthof but they're pricey

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 01:11:20 AM »
I have a large wustoff set that I love but also have a forschner victorinox that i swear feels surgical sharp and holds it longer compared to the wustoff set after aharpning on the wet stones.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 02:53:20 AM »
I have the pampered Chef knife set. I would say I use the chefs knife the most. It’s German Steel and holds a nice edge. I found this one on eBay for you. This is a discontinued one used but I hav bought used ones off of eBay before with no problems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Pampered-Chef-8-Blade-Self-Sharpening-Storage-Case-Chefs-Knife/254039709688?hash=item3b25f257f8:g:zaQAAOSwx-lcFDRJ

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 02:58:21 AM »
If I had to start over, I would go with Misen. Recently an upstart, but growing fast. 20% off for new customers. I might be one myself soon. Check them out.
https://www.misen.co/pages/collection
Retired

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
Other end of the spectrum for me, but if you have a restaurant supply store around, you can stock up on some good knives (chefs, boning, etc) affordably. Nothing fancy but works great and will last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:54:20 AM »
Victorinox 8” Chef is the knife the “America’s Test Kitchen” uses. Watch the video on the ATK website. I have a few Victorinox knives and highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
A knife to rule them all will depend on your budget. A good knife can cost $40 or  easily over $1000.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »
We have a mixed bag from Henkles to Wustoffs. Chefs blade gets the most use IMHO.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
Another vote for Victorinox. 8" chefs knife is my go to, also love my little paring knife[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
Those Old Hickory knives that the BBQ Pit Boys use are for butchering, not for kitchen prep.

You want a chef's knife, and you need to hold the knife in your hand before you buy. A knife with too small or too large a handle won't ever be a great knife for you. The best knife has to be one that fits your hand.

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 05:01:12 AM »
Check out Ergo Chef.  I have a couple of their's and like the feel in your hand.  Steel seems to be good as well.  They sometimes have seconds at a greatly reduced price.  They are supposed to have blemishes, but I haven't found them on my knives.  But for budget, I'll echo the Dexter/Russel, Victrinox, and Forschner knives.  I've owned the Ole Hickory knives and they are carbon steel, so extra care with them to keep from rusting.Supposedly easier to sharpen and hold an edge better than stainless.  Got rid of them because of the rusting issue.

Robert

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the imput. Ill look into a quality chef knife. I got a Hudson durable goods deluxe apron and i wanna ad a knife holder to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app