Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best rib technique  (Read 1270 times)

chas1723

• Smokey Joe
Best rib technique
« on: December 24, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
I really enjoy cooking on my crimson performer.  The last couple of rib cooks I have tried, however, did not turn out as expected. The meat was a bit tough for my liking. I suspect I was off on the cooking temperature or time. I did not wrap them either.

I am looking to try out a different technique to use. What have you found which works best?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Best rib technique
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
Hot and fast is an easy fool proof method.

Try it out.

Hot & Fast Ribs again http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=38730

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
A lot of us us the 3-2-1 method.  Three hours unwrapped, two hours wrapped and then one more unwrapped.  When I cook spareribs I cook them about three hours unwrapped or until I can see some bones poking through.  I then add some sauce (or some liquid) wrap with foil and cook them about two hours more.  I say about because cook times can vary depending on grate temp, thickness of the meat, and how you prefer them to be cooked.  Some like fall off the bone while others like a more comp style so you can get that "perfect bite".  I run my grate temps from 250 to 275.  Also don't trust the lid thermometer.  Get a device that has probes that attach to the grate or you can get an oven thermo which work very well.  Hope this helps
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

chas1723

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:58:30 AM »
Thanks. Will try the 3 2 1 method. I use a Maverick for temp.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 05:45:06 AM »
I have been doing the 3-2-1 method for years... well, I modify the "3" to "2" depending on if I'm doing baby backs. Never cared for the straight up, hot and fast method. Just me...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

chas1723

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
3 2 1 gave me much better results. I kept the temperature right around 225 for the 6 hours. When I wrapped, I drizzled with apple juice. Thanks for the advice. This is how I will do it from now on.

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
I have been using the hot and fast method the last couple times, and I have enjoyed those ribs as much as the 3 2 1 method ribs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
I use the 3-2-1 (spares) and 2-2-1 (loin back) methods as a starting point. I reserve the right to modify as necessary. I'm doing more smoking this winter. In an effort to conserve fuel, I'm only doing the first step on the WSM, the oven is used for the final two steps. The results have been excellent so far. I use Alton Brown's method and recipe (plus 4 oz. butter) for the two hours in foil.

I don't like hot and fast ribs. They remind me of my mother's incinerated pork chops from my youth.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
I use the 3-2-1 (spares) and 2-2-1 (loin back) methods as a starting point. I reserve the right to modify as necessary. I'm doing more smoking this winter. In an effort to conserve fuel, I'm only doing the first step on the WSM, the oven is used for the final two steps. The results have been excellent so far. I use Alton Brown's method and recipe (plus 4 oz. butter) for the two hours in foil.

I don't like hot and fast ribs. They remind me of my mother's incinerated pork chops from my youth.

Yup, me too. Ribs need to be cooked low and slow IMHO. No need to rush it. Believe me, I've been doing ribs for many years, and have never found a better cooking method for them.

Just me.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.