Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bachelor Meal #3: A Tale of Two Pork Loins  (Read 585 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Bachelor Meal #3: A Tale of Two Pork Loins
« on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
So I’ve never been much of a fan of grilled or roasted pork loin. Figured I’d try smoking one, but when I cut the pack open, I realized there were two in there. (You guys probably all knew this, but like I said, I usually don’t care much for them & have never cooked one before.)

I seasoned them both with some Killer Hogs rub I got from @Mikerocksthered a while back & had totally forgotten about. Set up a quick snake with pecan chunks in the 26er, tossed both loins in with probes, and tried to keep her steady between 225 & 250*.

I pulled one at 145* IT & sliced. Not bad at all! The smoke really came through, but the K.H. seasoning had a good amount of sweetness to give it a more complex flavor. The inside was tender & juicy, and I’m looking forward to some sandwiches with the leftovers.

I decided to take the second one up to 200* to see if I could do more of a “pulled pork loin” with it. I wrapped it in foil around 160* & tossed in the oven at 225 for another couple hours. Results were not great. Decent flavor, but pretty dry & definitely didn’t want to “pull” apart, even after about a 45 minute rest. Maybe I’ll try it again sometime and give it a dry brine the night before to try & retain some of the moisture. I ended up chopping it up & mixing with some BBQ sauce for sandwiches later, so it wasn’t a total loss.

The real show stopper though was the side of mushroom caps. I’m not usually big on mushrooms either, but this week of bachelor meals is mostly filled with experiments that could be revived when the family’s back in town, and mushrooms are always a big hit with the wife. These guys were stuffed with cream cheese & parm, mixed with some sautéed minced garlic, onion powder, black & cayenne pepper.

I’m sure they would’ve been even better on the grill with a little smoke, but they needed to be cooked at 350*, and my grill was burning at 225. Yeah, I know, I could’ve just fired up another kettle. But baby, it’s cold outside (Are we still allowed to say that?) and I didn’t feel like going outside any more than necessary.

These came out amazing! I’ll probably use the filling in jalapeño poppers at some point, if I’m wanting to avoid sausage for some reason. (I can’t imagine a situation in which I’d ever want to “avoid sausage,” but you never know.) They’d be super quick to prep if you sub in granulated garlic for the fresh minced, but considering how good it makes your kitchen smell, I think it’s worth finding the extra time.

-Jed
-Jed

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Bachelor Meal #3: A Tale of Two Pork Loins
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
Great write up!  I have used shredded pork tenderloin before for tacos.  I grilled  quickly to out some color and flavor on it then it went into a stockpot with chicken broth, onions, jalapeño slices and garlic and cooked until it was falling apart.  I think to get it a falling apart point on the grill you’d have to give it a quick sear then wrap it up with some liquid and cook it until it falls apart.   

I’m glad you like the Killer Hogs.  You should try it on some popcorn!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Bachelor Meal #3: A Tale of Two Pork Loins
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »

I’m glad you like the Killer Hogs.  You should try it on some popcorn!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Okay now I’m having popcorn tonight just for that!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!