Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron appreciation thread  (Read 158019 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
My new 13qt toy[emoji3]

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »
That is a lot of quarts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »
That is a lot of quarts

It is[emoji3]
For a bigger group simply perfect [emoji106][emoji108][emoji106]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2019, 04:45:01 AM »

Staub Dutch oven. From France. Fire engine red. Gave it to my wife for  Valentine's day.

That’s a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
I think it’s really cool how Lodge resurrects a retired product from their archives once a year.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/story/introducing-the-lodge-cast-iron-legacy-series

I wish Weber would do the same with some of their old accessories.

Is anyone else puzzled by why that very old catalogue Lodge has a picture of near the top of the page you linked to is in French?

I just noticed, it's a catalogue from 1902.  That makes the fact that the text is all in French but the prices are listed in dollars even stranger.

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2019, 05:57:11 PM »
I think it’s really cool how Lodge resurrects a retired product from their archives once a year.

Is anyone else puzzled by why that very old catalogue Lodge has a picture of near the top of the page you linked to is in French?

I just noticed, it's a catalogue from 1902.  That makes the fact that the text is all in French but the prices are listed in dollars even stranger.
Wow. Good eye. Lightning. That is attention to detail. But now that you mention it. Yes I am puzzled as well

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2019, 06:22:55 PM »

Wow. Good eye. Lightning. That is attention to detail. But now that you mention it. Yes I am puzzled as well

This is an easy puzzle. Their customer base at the time must have been French.  They must have been sending their products west. Louisiana or St. Louis perhaps?  Just a guess but I can’t imagine any other reason. 

Edit: after a quick search, lodge names the first foundry after a friend. Blacklock 1896-1910. That foundry burnt down and the next was lodge manufacturing. They apparently lost most of the molds and diagrams. They had both French and English catalogs. So I’m guessing that covered the majority of their customer base. Maybe the French versions were the only ones to survive the fire.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:35:03 PM by HoosierKettle »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
I should’ve posted this earlier in the day when I received the email, but Lodge has a 30% off sale on their skillets and lids today only.

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/skillets-and-covers.asp?utm_source=Lodge+Cast+Iron+Newsletter&utm_campaign=eae435ae38-skillet30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2e85ab85af-eae435ae38-113637769&mc_cid=eae435ae38&mc_eid=dec1d0d3c5

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

iamrobertkrogh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
Saw this at the thrift store, never knew Lodge made one so small. Not sure what I'll even be able to use it for? But had to have it.
5" skillet

Sent from my moto z3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:49:38 PM by iamrobertkrogh »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
My brother in law gave me this 12” lodge.  It had caked on seasoning that I couldn’t remove by normal methods and It’s not special enough to completely strip so I decided to try a quick surface smooth and restore. I hit it with a palm sander for five minutes. Changed paper a few times because it will cake with seasoning until you get down to some metal. I just sanded until smooth while leaving the seasoning in the “valleys” of the surface.  It’s getting seasoned now. I’m interested to see how it cooks.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
A little scallop action

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »

A little scallop action

Love scallops. They look perfect.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2019, 09:17:33 AM »
The skillet passed the egg test and came out very smooth. That’s just oil on the surface making it appear rough. This might be my favorite surface as opposed to rough or polished completely smooth. Best of both worlds maybe and takes very little effort or time.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
The skillet passed the egg test and came out very smooth. That’s just oil on the surface making it appear rough. This might be my favorite surface as opposed to rough or polished completely smooth. Best of both worlds maybe and takes very little effort or time.

Looks good
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »
Tami ordered these when they were having a sale and surprised me with them, it's not even my Birthday