Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Chicken with Pecan smoke  (Read 784 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie Chicken with Pecan smoke
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
Today is super weather so I wanted to make a roti chicken. I started with 1.4kg fresh chicken and my Smoke Grey MT, I used my fingers to lift up the skin on the upper and lower area on the breast and also on the thighs. Salted lightly under the skin with smoked salt and a mix of poultry seasoning and spices. Little bit more of the same seasoning on the out side of the skin and inside the bird. Then it went back in the fridge for about 5 hours to dry brine a little. I filled the S’nS with coals and added some Weber pecan chips to it. About 1 hour later the deepest part of the breast was just hitting 160f and it was time to take it off.
It came out super with a brown skin and super juicy breast meat!
Thanks for looking.
https://youtu.be/2cdX9LsaQVE

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:36:41 AM by vwengguy »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Rotisserie Chicken with Pecan smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
Today is super weather so I wanted to make a roti chicken. I started with 1.4kg fresh chicken and my Smoke Grey MT, I used my fingers to lift up the skin on the upper and lower area on the breast and also on the thighs. Salted lightly under the skin with smoked salt and a mix of poultry seasoning and spices. Little bit more of the same seasoning on the out side of the skin and inside the bird. Then it went back in the fridge for about 5 hours to dry brine a little. I filled the S’nS with coals and added some Weber pecan chips to it. About 1 hour later the deepest part of the breast was just hitting 160f and it was time to take it off.
It came out super with a brown skin and super juicy breast meat!
Thanks for looking.
https://youtu.be/2cdX9LsaQVE

Looks great! The best way to do a whole chicken. Site of that Smoke MT cooking is a treat too.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »
Picture perfect!  I haven’t yet dry or wet brined. I’ve been meaning to experiment with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

suckaass

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:32:59 AM »
Great looking bird. I haven't ever tried to dry brine.

I use a sugar free wet brine recipe that takes 1 1/2-2hrs to brine a whole chicken, and always turns out fantastic.
Eddie, go over there and get all of that wood, I need half a tree. Chop that tree.
And Charlie, go get me 2 gallons of gasoline out the shed.
C'mon, you wanna eat? You wanna eat?

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
I just want to update the amount of salt that I use.. NOT MUCH!
The smoked salt I use is almost the same size as table salt and NOT anything close to kosher salt or Himalayas rock salt!
I salt under the skin and again on the outside only the amount you might salt your normal meal or French Fries! Then back in the fridge for 5-6 hours.
Doing this way with the finer salt I do not have to rinse the chicken off before I cook it. When I salt it I also use a seasoning at the same time.. this soaks into the meat as it’s in the fridge.

On the duck I use the heavy salt like the kosher salt and then the bird goes in the fridge (un-covered) the NIGHT before the cook. About an hour before cook time I rinse the duck very good and season it before it goes on the grill. If you don’t rinse it.. there is a real chance it’s going to be too salty.
On the duck.. it’s going to look like dried out roadkill when you take it out! Don’t freak out! It will be ok.