Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wheel axle sleeve  (Read 854 times)

Erictag

• WKC Brave
Wheel axle sleeve
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:46:48 AM »
I have a 22" kettle that came with a wheel that was frozen up.  I tried to loosen it gently, and eventually got the plastic wheel off.   Then found that the steel sleeve inside the wheel that slips over the triangle axle did not come off with the wheel, and is rusted to the axle.   I've tried grabbing the sleeve with pliers, and put leverage on it all the ways that i can figure with no results.   The sleeve is about 1.5 inches long, and i am thinking the rust runs down the length of where it touches the triangle axle. 

Any suggestions on removing the rusted sleeve?

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: Wheel axle sleeve
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:49:01 AM »
Kroil or Evaporust should work fine. Good luck with it.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
I'm a fan of Kroil and Evaporust too. I had to up the ante and use a little heat to get the thumbscrews, the triangle nut/bolt, and even one of the legs on my '57 Custom (aka The Pollack). I bought a mini heat gun at HB for cheap. They screw onto those Coleman propane tanks. I had tried literally for months on and off and figured I'd never get that original hardware off w/o damage. Add heat, voila.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
I like those ideas.  I tried Evaporust over night and it made the outside of the sleeve look good, but I dont think it could work its way between the sleeve and the axle.

I'll try heating the sleeve.  Expanding it may break the seal the rust has created...

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
1. heat it up red hot with a mini hand held blow torch. No need to connect to a propane tank.

2. spray lubricant like WD-40 or penetrating oil. This action cools the metal quickly in turn loosing the part. Lube also penetrates inside the frozen areas.

3. Tap it with a hammer. It should also help loosen part.

4. Repeat the steps in order as needed to take the part loose.  Normally one time should do it.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
Much appreciated Greenweb. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:34:31 AM »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
This may sound a bit Barbaric, but cut a slot the length of the tube with a Dremel tool (or equiv), down to the axle. Soak with penetrating oil and let sit. Place a flat blade screw driver in the slot and twist. Re-apply liquid if needed. It will pop loose. Plus if you're careful, you can reuse the tube. Who cares if there's a slot in it? Believe me... it works.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:55:21 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.