Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Ribs using snake method in my Master Touch. What did I do wrong?  (Read 1967 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: First Ribs using snake method in my Master Touch. What did I do wrong?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
Sounds like you've already gotten the advice you need but I'll throw a few comments out there anyway:
-You're  thinking backwards about how the vents work.  Closing the vents doesnt help keep in.  Open vents = more air = more fire/heat. 

-As noted the water in the pan is not necessary (and might contribute to the lack of bark).  Wrapping in foil definitely will kill that bark.

-Snake looks pretty small....how much of that charcoal got used up during the cook?  I tend to aim for 75% of a complete circle for a 3-4 hour cook (but lots of things can affect this like the weather, etc). 

-There are no set rules for this.  If I aim for 250 degrees I'd be happy anywhere from as low as 200-225 to as high as 350.   If your kettle was running cooler than you wanted, then you could have increased the cook time accordingly.  Conversely, if it ran hot, they'd have cooked for a shorter period of time.  Biggest trick is to just be aware if/when you dont hit your target temp (or surpass it) and changing your cook time as needed. 

-If the ribs were tough thats the clue you probably could have left them on longer.  With something like ribs, I'd rather cook it longer at a lower temp than try to speed through it at higher temps.  I've tried hot and fast ribs and dont enjoy them quite as much  (could be a mental thing though too as I enjoy the slower process!).

Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
I do my snakes the same 2x1 and start with 8-9 lit briquettes, 3/4 of bowl long (gives me about 6hrs stable temp (250-275) Vents full open.
This last time I did do counterclockwise... don't think it really matters (but im sure im wrong)
Using a Performer.
I have also done both wrapped and not wrapped. I now know that I like them better unwrapped, similar to other folks here. Better bark better chew on the meat!
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
Thanks for all the great info/advice.  I'll be incorporating it in the next low/slow that I do.  This forum is awesome.  Appreciate all the help!

lksdrinker - You're right...snake wasn't long enough.  I made it longer when I took them off to wrap.  It went probably 60-70% of the way around by the time it was all done.

Maurobbq - I'm going to try unwrapped next time.

Smoke Freak - I had that all backwards.  But what you say makes sense now.

This was my first time and I'm learning as I go.  Just gotta chill out and not sweat the small stuff!