Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Butt With The Kettle Zone In The Pouring Rain  (Read 798 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pork Butt With The Kettle Zone In The Pouring Rain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:30 AM »
Looks great. Something I have always been curious about with kamado style or stone deflector style is how the grease is managed. I did a cook in my mini wsm with a terra cotta deflector and the the grease basically burned and smoked most of the cook. The pork butt tasted good but the grease smoke did change the flavor. This would mainly be an issue with pork butts or brisket or large cuts that create a lot of grease.

Let’s say you cover the whole grill with wings. Do you just let them drip directly on the deflector?

I haven’t used a kamado but I have always thought I wouldn’t like that aspect.

In my mini wsm, I now use a drip pan in the lower level above the deflector with a litte water in it and an air gap between the deflector so I don’t get a burning grease flavor.

It’s funny though, because I love the flavor of grease dripping in the hot coals when I’m doing chicken or ribs. Those are shorter cooks and generally have less grease though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:47:26 AM »
Yeah, that's why I used the drip tray.  I suppose you could cover the deflector plate with foil too
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »

Yeah, that's why I used the drip tray.  I suppose you could cover the deflector plate with foil too

What I’m asking is did the grease burn in the drip tray since it’s in direct contact to the stone.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pork Butt With The Kettle Zone In The Pouring Rain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:40:08 AM »
You used a snake so it was probably fine. This condition would happen more with coals directly under the stone most likely.