Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie prime rib help, please  (Read 729 times)

Mosca

• Smokey Joe
Rotisserie prime rib help, please
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:17:24 AM »
On the one hand, I like to follow the rule, "Never try something for the first time on your guests."

On the other hand, I feel pretty confident about things these days, and I've done probably 50 rib roasts over the years, and I want to do this one on the rotisserie, on the Weber Kettle. This will be the first time I've used the roto.

So, if I do decide to rotor it, I'm thinking two baskets of coals, one on each side, drip pan in the middle. Full chimney split over the two baskets, fully lit, dome temp maybe 275 after adjusting the vents. 4.5lb roast should take maybe 2 hours to 135*?

The other choice is BGE, 250* indirect and sear at the end. I've done half a dozen of those, confidence is high on that one. But I like to live dangerously (once stood on 5 at blackjack, but cards are not my bag, baby).

So, does the setup sound right? Dome temp for a rotisserie rib roast 275*? Higher? Lower? Should I half light the baskets and let them snake, like in a S&S?

Thanks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rotisserie prime rib help, please
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
I’ve only done one prime rib and it was on the rotisserie and it was fantastic. Sounds like you will be fine with that set up. I dumped a mostly lit chimney on one side and cracked the bottom vent and had the top at half. I didn’t monitor the cooking temp. Im guessing I was cooking at 350 but not sure. Seems like it took an hour and a half but I don’t remember. My roast was around 5 lbs I think. It’s pretty easy. It will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jdubb

• Smokey Joe
Re: Rotisserie prime rib help, please
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
I did a prime rib on the weber rotisserie a couple weeks ago and it came out great and surprisingly easy to do.  I had a fully lit chimney stacked on 2 sides with a foil pan under the roast. I had all vents open.  I pulled it when the internal temp reached 120 which took about 2 hours.
ISO: Blue 22in MBH.  Green 22in MBH