Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Guy Here w/ his Red Head  (Read 1915 times)

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
New Guy Here w/ his Red Head
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
I already did the intro thing, but wanted to share a project I just finished tonight.   
I know this is the Kettle Club, but these old Gennies sure are good looking.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Re: New Guy Here w/ his Red Head
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
That’s BEAUTIFUL!

What kind of wood did you use?

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
Very Nice Genny.  I’m in the process of restoring my Genny jr

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »
The wood is unstained cedar with 5 coats of spar varnish.

Dell, very nice Jr.  I have not been lucky enough to find one of those
locally, but it is on my list for sure.  I did however score a Genesis 1
this week after searching for one for about 2 years.  It is a mess, but
I hope to have it fully restored in a couple of months. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 04:57:53 AM »
She is beautiful, nice restore @Dave in KC
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »
@Dave in KC,

That is amazing work!!!!  Looks too good to cook on!!!

I have an EI Red Genny 1000 to restore as well.  Did your genny have the QC fitting?  The one I acquired has the QC.  I want to retrofit it with the correct regulator and hose.   I have a donor reg n hose but the fittings to the manifold are different than the standard.

@DellJones lookin good!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
That’s gorgeous! What year is she?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Thanks all. The sticker underneath was too worn to identify.  Fairly certain it is a 94 or 95. 

No sure why I didn't include any before pics, but here are a few .....

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
@Dave in KC,

That is amazing work!!!!  Looks too good to cook on!!!

I have an EI Red Genny 1000 to restore as well.  Did your genny have the QC fitting?  The one I acquired has the QC.  I want to retrofit it with the correct regulator and hose.   I have a donor reg n hose but the fittings to the manifold are different than the standard.

@DellJones lookin good!!

Jeff, this is what you need.  Weber uses 1/8 going into the manifold HD and Lowes will not have it they only have 1/4 maybe some other local chain.  You can use the Rector Seal for the 1/8 male that goes into the manifold easier than the yellow tape do not put anything on the 3/8 flare side you just screw the regulator hose on to it. 

I have a 1000 my regulator went bad of course it was more than 20 years old had an old crappy Char Broil falling apart but it was only 5 years old so when I was done with the 1000 I kept the Char Broil regulator junked the grill and put it on the Weber works great it was a good thing I saved it as the old one did not go out for a few months.  You can use any universal hose and regulator it does not need to be a Weber.

https://www.amazon.com/GASPRO-Propane-Fitting-Adapter-Universal/dp/B01N4WZVC4

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RectorSeal-T-Plus-Thread-Sealant/1000092785?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-RoughPlumbingElectrical-_-PlumbingConnectionsAndSupport-_-1000092785:RectorSeal&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000092785&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1651&k_clickID=5bf48995-f02a-4ade-b299-e1080f16088d&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4cWx9NGQ3QIVysDACh02kwa0EAQYAiABEgJ5D_D_BwE

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:00:38 AM »
@Brian ATL

Thanks for the information!  I will definitely check into the parts.  It a project in the making.  No hurry for this one.  Over the winter I plan on disassembling the entire cook box and have the internals soda blasted. Repainting the box and lid sides with HHT Rustoleum Ultra.

@Dave in KC how did you get your cook box so sparkly?  Some folks I know recommended soda blasting it... I have tried scraping and wire wheeling it to no avail....  Diggin' those Flavorizer bars!!!  Assuming sand and spar varnish for the table and shelf?

Great stuff goin' on here!!!

Grill on!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 04:05:54 AM »
Sand and spar on the wood is correct.  For the box, I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel, and whole lot of cursing.  :D 

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
@Brian ATL

Thanks for the information!  I will definitely check into the parts.  It a project in the making.  No hurry for this one.  Over the winter I plan on disassembling the entire cook box and have the internals soda blasted. Repainting the box and lid sides with HHT Rustoleum Ultra.

@Dave in KC how did you get your cook box so sparkly?  Some folks I know recommended soda blasting it... I have tried scraping and wire wheeling it to no avail....  Diggin' those Flavorizer bars!!!  Assuming sand and spar varnish for the table and shelf?

Great stuff goin' on here!!!

Jeff, I think Dave did not mean using a wire wheel because using that with a drill will be useless.  He meant using a wire cup brush with an angle grinder.  Spray the inside with Simple Green and go at it, you can get an angle grinder for less than 20 bucks at harbor freight especially when they have their 25% off sale. 

Goggles no doubt when cleaning the inside and the lids and you will still be covered in dust so make sure no clothing you intend to keep clean.  Here is a link to the wire cup brush its cheap.

What I would also say maybe other members will get pissed is I belong to both boards joined this cause the kettle forum here is fantastic but the gasser forum on the other board not trying to insult anybody is way beyond what it is here.  All these question you have been asking are easily answered there just going thru the threads.

Here is the link for the wire cup brush from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html