Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prep ahead for tailgate  (Read 827 times)

Appwsmsmkr1

• Smokey Joe
Prep ahead for tailgate
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

We’re going to a tailgate in September and I’m seeking your expertise! I have a my menu planned and my list of everything to take. There will be about 10 of us as far as I know and the stadium only allows us to come about 4 hours prior to game time.

We are keeping things simple like burgers and dogs but the thorn in my side is of course chicken wings lol. You have to have wings at a football game! The grills that are coming are the JJ and the Go-Anywhere which can only fit about 16 wings max for each. Actually less for the GA. My questions are can they be cooked ahead of time and then reheated before saucing? Can this be done? If you have done this please share your recipe/method.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance,

Appwsmsmkr1

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:20:41 PM by Appwsmsmkr1 »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Prep ahead for tailgate
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
Wings are small so why not cook them on site? Also i dont see why reheating would be a problem just use the ga like an oven . Set your coals to one side and use the other to warm them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Prep ahead for tailgate
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 03:25:36 AM »
I would load the JJ edge to edge with wings and cook direct spread coals evenly over the charcoal grate. Set the bottom vent to half and top open. Turn and rotate every 15 minutes. I use this method on a regular 18. A jumbo will be different but doable. I can cook 40+ wings in the 18. Or you could cook indirect ahead of time and warm up and sauce using the same method.

Either way, I’d do a trial run ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Appwsmsmkr1

• Smokey Joe
Re: Prep ahead for tailgate
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
Thankfully the game is not until the end of sept so after the holiday I will defiantly need to do a practice run.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club