Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Salmon cooking  (Read 1324 times)

Luxboy78

• Happy Cooker
Salmon cooking
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
How do you cook a salmon on your weber kettle without a cedar plank?
Do you put it on a rectangle iron cast or aluminium foil?
Do you cook it direct heat or indirect heat?
Do you use charcoal wood or brikets?
What is your best spices you rub?
Thx

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Salmon cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:09:05 PM »
My family's favorite salmon fillets are cooked in foil.

I oil the fish on all sides so that it doesn't stick to the foil.
Black pepper, garlic, dill, onion slices, lemon slices, butter.
I grill (or bake) until almost done, then open the foil to lightly brown the top while it finishes cooking.

This is overcooked by many peoples standards, but it is the only way my wife and kids will eat it!

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
My fav is skin side down with a hot indirect and some chunk wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »
My fav is skin side down with a hot indirect and some chunk wood.

+1   

Skin side down, hot indirect using briquettes with chunks of apple wood. Only cook for 11 minutes, 12 at the max. Anything over that time will overcook the salmon.  The wood spikes the temps and gives the salmon a sweet, smokey essence.  I only season with Dean and Deluca fish rub and lemon pepper.  The rub consists of Fennel seeds, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Crushed Bay Leaves, Marjoram and Parsley.  When plating, I remove the skin and any dark meat prior to plating (personal preference).

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:39:48 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
Here in the Pacific Northwest (Eugene,Oregon) we almost never grill Salmon.  It's cooked on a Western Red Cedar plank using cedar chips for smoke flavor.  Buy an S4S cedar fence board from a local lumber store (that is willing to ensure it wasn't dunked in preservatives  ...  usually NOT the case with Cedar).   Season with EVOO or ELOO, garlic powder, lemon pepper, nothing more.   Be certain to use capers in your tartar sauce.  I use a two zone setup with the plank in between and some foil to keep my plank from burning.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:38:21 AM »
Nobody else does skin on and direct over coals?  I like that method. I also like cedar plank salmon grilled direct. Skinless and no plank I will go indirect.

I olive oil the filets then apply a seasoning combination that I make. It’s 90% coarse salt and pepper with a little cayenne garlic and onion powders. I usually use a piece of cherry in the coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »

If you're cooking fillets, and not using a plank, then I highly recommend indirect.

No skin, use foil.  Skin on, then foil is not really necessary, IMO.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/pickerel/

When I use a plank, now, I put the plank on the grill direct.  Works grate!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/i-did-not-soak-the-plank-this-time/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Salmon cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
Some of my personal salmon rules.

If skinless than I go direct on a soaked plank OR I place on individually cut pieces of parchment and cook indirect OR I cook indirect on the flat side of Grillgrates.

Skin on I will cook direct over coals skin side down obviously with a small chunk of cherry in the coals and bottom vents cracked and top open. This method works really well.

Any way you go, salmon is delicious and easy to cook and is almost always ten times better than what you can get at a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
I usually pick up the biggest fillet I can find at Sam’s or Costco which will just barely fit on one side of my 26er. Prepare a full chimney of KBB banked against the opposite side with a couple chunks of alder or cherry or apple on top. I rub the top with a little olive oil and season with some garlic salt or whatever I’m in the mood for. (Other choices recently have been Cavender’s, Tony’s, etc.) Slice a lemon as thinly as possible & spread those evenly on top. Skin side down indirect for about 25-30 min. Might be the easiest & most impressive thing I grill for guests. The hardest part is getting it off the grill & onto the serving platter in one piece. (I now have two of those extra-wide fish spatulas, and it takes both.)

-Jed
-Jed

SmokenGrill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
I have cooked a lot of Salmon, all the same way and it is always great. Season with Old Bay an hour before cooking. Grill it skin down on an ungreased sheet of aluminum foil till done. 15-20 mins on mine. At the end put butter pats between the flake of fish. Yum. The skin will stick to the foil and make using a spatula to pull off the skinless fish easy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:18:54 PM by SmokenGrill »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »
Ok...we like to use a beer batter (medium lager), and deep fry the salmon after cutting it up in small pieces.
Have not tried this yet? You will be amazed, and so will your friends!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:13 AM »
I olive oil my grate . Cook both sides I like seared top . Caught this myself on Sun ,cooked Mon

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Meatpolice

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:50:54 AM »
I cook indirect on foil with a chuck of maple.