Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe bottom damper fell off - reattach?  (Read 679 times)

NiceyMan

• Happy Cooker
Smokey Joe bottom damper fell off - reattach?
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
So I got a Smokey Joe at a thrift store and after cleaning it up, it turned out to be really rusty like it was always kept outside.  I started cleaning it up and then the bottom damper fell off. 

Looks like it was held on by a rivet, but I don't have a rivet gun that accepts rivets that wide. 

I played around with some nuts and bolts to secure it back on, but turning the damper loosens the nut and eventually unscrews itself.  Anyone know how to reliably fix this?

Cellar2ful

Re: Smokey Joe bottom damper fell off - reattach?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
You can use a 1/4" 20 bolt and nut with a a small lock washer or wing nut. Most of use SS hardware when replacing these dampers.  The wing nut makes it easy to re-tighten whenever it gets loose.  SS holds up much better with exposure to ashes.  Place the wing nut on the outside of the bowl and damper vent for easier, cleaner access.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Smokey Joe bottom damper fell off - reattach?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
Ss screw and jam nut rig. Doesnt have to be special, just run the first nut to the desired drag, and jam the second against the first...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.