Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Almost too hot to cook!  (Read 1211 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Almost too hot to cook!
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
With ambient temps hovering right around 100 deg F, and humidity hovering in the 80+ % range, it's been almost too hot and sticky to want to cook. I massively downsized my cook for the weekend to just doing ribs.  FWIW, they came out awesome! Although the loin back ribs tend to have that tough tendon running through them which confuses the snot out of my wife. I think I just need to do baby backs... But I love that nice big hunk of loin, all done with a dry rub and a simple apple juice / rub mop.... Just love taking the chunk of loin and dunking it in my favorite sauce!

No elotes from this weekend. The corn is sitting in the basket in the kitchen ready to go, and I simply put, am not ready to cook it!

Oh, for what it's worth. in the shade, I found the thermometer registering an internal temp of 110 deg F on both the lid thermometer, and a dropped in probe. With no coals / fire in the kettle...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:43:17 AM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Almost too hot to cook!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
Its ok. Been close to and over 110 here. Not so humid, but still very toasty. Keep on, keeping on.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
I have been looking around for one of those mister things that you hook to a hose just to keep the cook cool when running back and forth to the kettle! They help, a bit, especially in the shade...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »
Yikes that’s definitely not a dry heat.  I’ve seen those misters at Home Depot btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »
Yuck! It never gets that hot up here.  It went into the 40s overnight at the cabin this past weekend and I had to get a fire going in the woodstove. The challenge up here is grilling when it is really cold.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
I would accept the cooler weather grilling challengr in a heartbeat.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
Here in Arizona we say bring on the heat and keep on grilling!  110 in the shade...we got this!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
Here in Arizona we say bring on the heat and keep on grilling!  110 in the shade...we got this!

I lived in Tucson for 5 years, in the early 90s. Oracle @ Miracle Mile.... Y'all ain't seen hot until you add humidity!

Seriously, it stays hot here overnight even. Just never cools off. I remember once the sun went down in Az the temps dropped at least 30 degrees if not more!

To put it bluntly, I would HAPPILY trade Arizona summer heat for coastal Texas heat + humidity.... The difference I guess between being in an oven, and being in a double boiler...

Oh, and swamp coolers actually work where you are! Cheap to run too!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:12:27 AM by dbhost »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
Swamp coolers don't work well during monsoon here in phoenix. I've been near Galveston, place called Liberty, and Hull in Texas. The worst weather...in the 90s and raining. And couldn't stay cool. It sucked bad. I prefer az. Any day.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
Swamp coolers don't work well during monsoon here in phoenix. I've been near Galveston, place called Liberty, and Hull in Texas. The worst weather...in the 90s and raining. And couldn't stay cool. It sucked bad. I prefer az. Any day.

I'm far closer to Galveston than I am Liberty. However I'm very familiar with both laces. Even during monsoon swamp coolers in Tucson worked fine. Usually the half hour to an hour after the monsoon passes it's a bit humid but nothing like here.

Well the neighborhood I was in sucked and let's be honest it's all I could afford as a college student I do remember that was when I had my first Smokey Joe. We would take it out after sundown when it would start to cool off and fire it up in the parking lot cooking hamburgers hot dogs brats whatever. And then go swimming in the apartment complex pool after dinner or just hang out in the hot tub. It was kind of funny I can clearly remember swimming in our apartment swimming pool and somebody had at that time the biggest big screen possible which I think was a 64 inch projection screen on their patio that they had turned towards the pool and everyone was watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve from the pool.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
I should have mentioned one of the huge reasons I am wanting a second 22 is so I can shorten my cook times in this heat. I can use one to cook my Meats and the other to cook my vegetables so I can have my elotes along with my ribs and Fajita.